13. dance with me

Everything about Neteyam made me feel comfortable

Everything about Neteyam made me feel comfortable. From the way he cupped my face, the warmth of his hands keeping me in the present moment, to the way he looked into my eyes, everything was perfect. Some gazes offer the promise of protection, but his gaze was all that and more. When he told me he had me, I truly believed him, and in that instant, I felt completely safe, as if all of my anxiety had vanished.

I'm not sure when I fell asleep, but when I wake up, I can feel my head on an unfamiliar surface. The surface is soft and warm, and it has a scent that smells so good. Without opening my eyes, I let my hands explore a little and trail down over a smooth yet chiselled surface that gently rose and fell to a steady beat. I thought I heard a faint heartbeat if I listened carefully. It's perplexing when I hear a low laugh that vibrates in my ear.

"You awake there?" I hear that familiar accented voice.

I flutter my eyes open and look up to meet his golden eyes, squinting slightly as he smiles down at me.

"Am I dreaming?" I whisper.

A small smirk tugs at the corner of his lips. "Are you saying I'm in your dreams?"

That comment is what snaps me back into reality as I quickly sit up, realising that I was laying on his chest with my hand resting on his abdomen. I avoided his gaze and looked around; we were still behind that boulder that he had found me by, but the sky was no longer that light blue that it had been earlier and now shifted towards an orange colour.

"How long was I out for??" I ask in almost a yell as I quickly bring myself to my feet whilst dusting the sand off my thighs and backside, looking around.

Neteyam doesn't respond, so I look to him. He's staring rather intensely at something, fully concentrated, while slightly licking his lips. Even his tail whipped at the sand beneath him, I furrowed my brow in confusion.

"Neteyam?" I repeat.

He blinks and flicks his eyes back to me with a small grin. "Yes darling?"

"Wh—I, um, how long was I asleep for?"

He, too, gets up and dusts himself off. "A little while; I didn't want to wake you. You seemed to be enjoying it."

It's only when he mentions it that I realise he was right. It had been a while since I'd had a proper sleep with no interruption, and I actually felt somewhat rested. It was a great juxtaposition to the sleepless nights the nightmare and the spirit tree visit had been giving me. I was really in awe, but I shrugged off the feeling, realising that it was getting late.

"It's okay, but I should really get going."

"Wait," he says, taking hold of my wrist before I can leave. My heart does a jump of some sort, which is strange. "Can we talk?"

My eyes glance from his hand around my wrist then back at his eyes. Those beautiful, hypnotic eyes. My heart does that thing again.

"L-Later, I promise."