Chapter 9: Toxin

-Let's see Maia.-I whispered to myself.-You have a fucking knife in your hand, kill it and that's it.-I'm too useless. I stopped suddenly, putting myself in an attack position, waiting for the bloody vampire that was following me, which didn't take more than five seconds to arrive. "Good night." I told him jokingly, seeing that he had stopped as soon as he saw me. "I guess this isn't worth it, right?" I raised my wrist with the bracelet, it only made the vampire growl even more. "Yeah, that's what I thought. My name is Maya. You're not going to tell me your name, are you?" Another growl left her mouth. Well, I'm ready.-I made a sign for her to come closer, literally something must have understood because she started running towards me. I dodged him a few times, going well, until I misstepped a rotten log and fell to the ground, with him on top of me. He tried to bite me but I would never let him do it, His hands rested on my clavicle, which were embedded in my skin. "Ahh!" I screamed in pain. This was getting out of hand. I raised the knife as best I could and slashed his throat, staining myself with blood in the process. Seconds later, her body was lying on top of mine.

-Good technique.-said someone when I managed to get the vampire's body off of me.-Although somewhat desperate.-I fixed my sight on a boy on top of a large rock, who as soon as he saw that he had discovered where he was, jumped down to me, raising his hand for me to take. I looked at him better, he was dressed all in black and with a sword, he was part of the guard.

"You could have helped me." I told him getting up while rejecting his hand.

-And lose the battle? No, thanks.-she said ironically.-My name is Thomas, by the way. And your Maia, right? I've heard you before. Do you always talk to vampires who are attacking you?

"You'd be surprised." I looked at him from top to bottom. "I suppose you don't attack me for this." I pointed to the bracelet.

"Indeed," he replied with a smile. "Although I'm a bit confused, you're too intriguing. How did you get that bracelet?

"It's a long story." I answered very seriously.

"Oh, then I won't meddle." He raised his hands in surrender.

"Why are you here alone?" I asked, confused.

-My classmates don't trust me, they think I'll have a fit or something. –he replied with a sad face.

-Because?

I'm not as old as them. They converted me when all this started.-she began to recount.-They think I don't have enough strength to control myself. Long story short, they think I'll become what you just killed.

-I'm sorry to hear that. How old are you?

"Twenty-four and you're not sorry, it's not your fault." He shrugged. "They found me wandering alone on the street, they just turned me, I didn't know what was happening to me, I just felt that I was very thirsty, but I didn't want to kill anyone." . They took me to a barracks, where they did millions of tests to evaluate me and let them know if I was fit for the guard. After a year, the higher-ups came to the assumption that he was fit. But my group still thinks I'm not. What are you going to do? If they don't want to have this tasty body in their group, they'll lose it.-she began to dance.

"I like you well." I started to laugh with him.

-I like me too.-he said ironically.-No, I'm kidding. I like you too. You're hurt.-she fixed her gaze on the wounds on the clavicle.

-Yes, well, I'm a bit clumsy. –I told him also raising my injured hand.

"Where are you going?" he asked, stopping to look at me.

-To my refuge.-I answered longingly.

"Oh, if you want I can accompany you, I have nothing else to do." He raised his shoulders again.