2|| The Move In

The hum of morning traffic outside their bedroom window rattled Lesley awake. As her eyes snapped open, an unbridled excitement surged within her chest. That morning felt special, and Lesley couldn't figure out why, but whatever it was filled her with immense joy and gratitude.

Nick had already awakened and was up enjoying a cup of morning coffee. Clad in a pair of jeans and a gray t-shirt, he sat in their minimalist-decorated kitchen reading a chapter out of his favorite murder mystery novel when suddenly his phone pinged, alerting him to an incoming call.

"Good morning, Nick!" Jackie's voice beamed through the phone.

"Morning, Jackie."

"I'm gonna need your tax documents from 2019. I also need your most recent paystub." Jackie informed him.

"Sure." Nick replied, "I can email it to you."

"Actually, you'll want to email it to your loan officer, Rick." Jackie informed him, "He just texted me, letting me know he needs those two items."

"Ok, sure thing." Nick began, "Also, if you're not busy around 11:00 this morning, would you like to join Lesley and me for a late breakfast at Griller's Cafe?"

Jackie wasn't expecting to attend a breakfast date, but she loved Griller's Cafe and hadn't been there in a few years, "Nick, do you mean a brunch date?" She corrected with a playful laugh.

Nick forced a laugh, "I guess so."

"I'd love to."

Jackie said her farewell, and they ended the call.

***

The morning's sun shone brightly over the towering buildings of New York City as Lesley and Nick walked a few blocks to the cafe.

"It's such a lovely day, Nick!" Lesley gushed lovingly, holding a tight grip on Nick's hand as they wandered past the offices and restaurants that lined the boulevard.

Nick and Lesley soon arrived at Griller's Cafe. Stepping inside, Nick held the door open for Lesley, allowing her to enter first.

It was airy inside, with a modernistic feel and a quaint ambiance. Although many diners were sipping iced teas and coffees, stuffing their mouths with pancakes, and nibbling on sandwiches, the atmosphere seemed relaxed.

In the middle of the cafe, they spotted Jackie sitting at a wooden table and scrolling through her phone.

"Hi, Jackie!" Lesley greeted as she walked up to the table. Jackie raised her head and a smile wove across her face as her eyes landed on Lesley.

"Hey, Jackie!" Nick waved.

"Hi, you two!" she smiled. Standing up, she wrapped her arms around Lesley and then Nick, embracing each of them in a warm hug.

Nick and Lesley pulled out their respective chairs and sat down, making themselves comfortable.

Nick wiggled his nose, sniffing the aroma that drifted through the air, as his eyes landed on the table full of food, "The food smells delicious!"

"Dig in! I ordered a bunch of food for all of us to share." Jackie smiled.

"Thank you, Jackie!" Nick and Lesley said in unison.

"That's so kind of you, Jackie!" Lesley added with a smile.

Nick reached for the tongs on the table, grabbed a waffle, and set it on his plate. He then scooped up a spoonful of the scrambled eggs and dumped them beside his waffle.

Lesley reached for a veggie panini. Grabbing it, she brought it up to her lips and took a bit.

"Wow! This is a really good panini!" Lesley commented.