chapter 7 "gold dust woman'

The door creaked open. Light shifted across the shadow of the room. I held my knees to my chest watching.
Maria stepped into the room. Her feet stood in a puddle of blood. Her eyes go wide as she sees the leg of the steel table was lodged in the large rapists head. She looked at me in horror. I stood up and stepped towards her. "You're lucky. Oh so lucky mama. If it wasn't for tommy, I'd slit your throat and cut that baby right outta you"

She gulped. "Bet you don't feel superior now huh?" I pushed her against the wall. "I'm gonna tell you this once. I'm gonna stay here. I'm gonna do whatever I fucking please in that infirmary. I will cure who I want when I want. I will Give out whatever drug I want to who the fuck I want am I clear?"

Maria nods "yeah! Whatever now get off me!" I step away from her. "I'd didn't have to be this way. If only tommy told you about me sooner" I shrugged.

"I will deliver your baby. I will make sure you're well taken care of, but other than that. Don't ask me for nothin. Don't even speak to me. You want a fucking nurse you got it. But you don't rule over me motherfucker!"

She shook her head as she started down at the body. "How did you do this, better yet how could you do this"

"I've been in this situation before. I've seen hell and back. While you were cuddlin and getting fucked behind your walls, I was outside fighting for my life. You don't know how it is out there princess. Ignorance is bliss. Truly is!" I walked out of the small room and looked around as the sky melted to black. I walked my happy ass back to the town.

.....

In the morning I sat on my front porch drinking coffee. I watched as kids play and parents parented.

"Mornin bobby" tommy says as he leans on the stairs banister. "mornin"

"What the hell did you and my wife talk about last night. She came home shaking like a leaf"

"Nothing out of the ordinary. Nothin to do with me"

"How did you get her to make you stay?"

"I'm valuable. How you guys managed without a medic is beyond me"
Tommy Snickers as he sipped his coffee. "what's he doin over there?" I say as I cock my head towards bud yelling at his wife. Tommy shook his head. "That son of a bitch has some nerve I tell ya. Caught him cheating on his wife the other night. That woman new he cheated too but stayed"

"That sure Sound familiar to you tommy boy don't it" I say with a glance at tommy. Tommy rolled his eyes. "You let that son of bitch treat that woman like that Infront of all these kids and families?"

"It ain't my place bobby. It ain't my marriage. it ain't yours either! So leave it alone! I know you like sticking your nose in things!"

I scoffed then mumbled under my breath in the mug of coffee "bullshit".
I watched as bud roughly shoved her arm out of his grip. "You mean you see that shit and it don't piss you off?"
"Joplin! Chill out  ignore it" as tommy says so, This woman began to walk towards us rubbing her arm shyly. I stood up. "hello Joplin...my..my Names Laramie" she held out her hand. I reached over the railing and shook it. "How are ya"

"I'm alright. I was just wondering if you could check out this fever I'm running"

"Of course" I placed my coffee mug down on the table. "Follow me"
Laramie and I waltz over to the infirmary. "Have a seat" I say after flicking on the light then patting the medical table as I walked passed it. "how long have you had this fever?"

"Bout 3 day's"

I put a thermometer under her tongue. "any aches and pains?"
She shook her head. "Just cold sweats"
"Hmm" I say as I look at the thermometer. No fever. Why would she lie about that?. "I'm just gonna check your blood pressure. Take your jacket off for me hun" I grabbed a blood pressure cuff off of a hook that was hanging along with a stethoscope. I watched as she pulled up her sleeves. I watched as the bruises shined on her arms and wrists. My heart sunk for this woman. I looked up at her as she looked up at me.
"One thing you gotta learn about me Laramie, I don't beat around any mother fuckin bushes mmmkay? I know what he does to you" I leaned back against the counter looking at her. She kept her head down in shame pulling her sleeves down.  "Your sister in law is a fucking bitch. Does she know about this?"
Laramie nods her head. "she knows about the children too"

"Children!? Children too!?"
She nods once more.
"So you want me to so something?"
"N..no! I..I.. I just ..wanted like...a... Ibuprofen or something"

"Ahh. I see" I walked over to the locked medicine cabinet. I took a couple pills into a small plastic cup and handed them over to her. "Don't be afraid to bring yourself and your kids over to my house. I have no problem keeping you away from that son of a bitch"

"Why thank you Joplin but that won't be necessary"

"I get it. I'm just letting you know"
She quickly nods then quickly scurried out of the place as her husband bud walks in. I roll my eyes.
"My back is killing me again doc. Think there's a kink in it"
I laugh and walk to the cabinet. "Sorry bud. But I'm out of everything"

"What do you mean!?"

"Hello! Bud! You downed all my fuckin pills!"

"That...that...that can't be! I need them fucking pills!! Ill go nuts!!"

"Hold on! Slow down now bud. I got something that will work reaaall fuckin good. Too good. But I don't think you're up for it"

"What is it!?"

"When I was in highschool I use to do this shit all the time" no I didn't. I went into the cabinet and grabbed a vile of ketamine, Horse tranquilizer. "We called this the special K"

"Nah man I don't fuck with needles"

"Do you want the relief or nah?"

"Fine. Give it to me"

And I did. I gave him a lovely 25cc injection into his sweet little veins. "You're all set honey"

"Ooo...wow.... That feels fantastic.."

"Alright get out of here before I lose my shit"

"Fine fine fine" he slowly hobbled towards the door. As bud steps out the door he looks around. I watch through the windows as he wonders to the middle of the down. I start a countdown in my head. 5...4....3...2...1.. boom. Bud falls straight to the ground. He starts to choke and squirm. He struggled to breathe. I back up and hid from the window view as people start to gather around him. The more time that I don't try to held him the better. People scream and yell for help. I quickly snap the needle I used on him In half. I shoved it to the bottom of the garage can. I listened as the bell of the door swung open.
"Jop! We need your help out here!"  Tommy announced. I looked up at him "what is it!?" I acted concerned. I quickly ran outside pushing my way through the distraught crowd. I kneeled to the ground watching as buds face turns purple. His mouth foams with vomit. I held my fingers on his neck. I look up at Marie and tommy. "He's gone"
The crowd gasps. Marie stumbled backwards. "N...no!" She yells. "N..no! You have to help him!! He's...he's a father!" She cried. "There isn't anything I can do Marie...he's gone" I stood up. She starts to cry hysterically. I stepped back and watched.  "This can't be happening!!"
Oh it's fucking happening Marie. No more waste of medicine, no more bleeding wives and especially, no more crying fearful children. I have no shame. I looked over at Laramie shielding her children's eyes. She looks up at me with horror. I shook my head. She pulled the kids into their house to hide them from trauma.
I walked away from the crowd as they took his body away. I quietly walked back to my house. The less I'm there the least blame I will receive. So I thought. I walk inside. Marie storms behind me. "What happened!? What did you do!?"

"What did I do?"

"Yes!! What did you do!?"

"Marie. I hate to tell you this. But that was clearly an overdose"

"Overdose! He's never had that problem"

"He took all of my hydros! And oxys! You told me to give him what he wanted! He wanted 4 oxys! So I gave it to him! You said to!! So I did! This ain't on me!"

She scoffed. She pulled herself Into Tommy's arms as she cried.
"I was to late Marie...or else I would've done something..." She shook her head as she led tommy back out the door. I'm more than thrilled that motherfucker won't walk the earth again.