chapter 10 "landslide"

In the morning I poured a cup of coffee as I watched the sun rise from the kitchen window. Although I had my husband back something still didn't feel right. It felt as if something was gonna tear him away from me. I glanced over as I heard footsteps walk down the stairs. There I was met with Ellie yawning and stretching with bed head.

"Morning Ellie"

"Hey, you guys know the walls upstairs are thin as shit?" She smirks as she sits down on the counter.

I snickered into my mug of coffee. "My bad. You hungry?" I say opening the fridge. "Staarving. You got cereal?"

"Nnnnope but I have eggs"

"Close enough"

"Hey" I whispered as I looked at the stair case to make sure the coast is clear. "Can I ask you something?"
Ellie shrugged "sure"

"Do you know... Or happen to know, what happened to my daughter?"
She shook her head. "No. Joel never wanted to speak about it. He won't even let me talk about tess"

"Tess?"

Ellie nods "yeah tess. I honestly thought she was his wife before we ran into you"

"Hmf" I cracked eggs into a pan. "Who was she?"

"She was a woman who was hired with joel to take me to where I need to go. She got bit a couple weeks ago."

I looked down into the pan as i scrambled the eggs. "Was she pretty?"
"I'd say so. She kinda looked like you. Maybe a little more rough around the edges ya know. He didn't want to leave her when she got bit"

I felt bad. what if he showed up here with her. I would've ruined everything for him. "Did I just like cause issues for you guys?". I laughed aloud. "No baby you're fine. I just...had no idea" I laid some eggs on two plates. "Sit on down and eat" I walked to the stairs and looked up them as Joel came down. He placed his hand on my cheek as he met me at the bottom. He gently kissed my lips. "You alright?" he asked. "I'm fine. There are eggs on the table for you"

"Thanks Bobby" he walked into the kitchen smacking my ass then smacked Ellie's head as he walked by.

"Hey don't concuss me! I'm important"

"Important my ass"

"Hey speaking off ass. You guys, last night. Disgusting" Joel glanced up at me.
"Told you she'd hear" I smirked

"When you hear shit like that plug your ears"

"Oh I'm the bad guy!?" Ellie laughed aloud. I pulled on my boots as I grabbed my jacket. "Ellie I'll be down at the barn if you wanna help me out today?"

"Are we leaving today Joel?"

"No tomorrow maybe"

"Sure I'll be there" she says as she scarfs down her food.

"Leaving? Joel? What do you mean leaving?"

Joel sighed in aggravation. "Nothing Joplin. It's nothing"
I frowned heavily. "You ain't leaving again are you?"
Joel grumbled as he drank his coffee.
I looked down. "I see where I stand.." I sad sadly as I shut the door behind me. Maybe he's a changed man. Maybe im no longer what he needs. War can change a man. Us people have been at war for years now, At war with those creatures outside the walls, at war with other people and especially at war with ourselves. As I walked up to the horses pen I hear screaming and crying from the other side of the barn. Not only I, but tommy and Joel were both were quick to the sound. Suddenly this man carried a young girl, maybe around the age of 13 who had a very large stake stabbed into her shoulder. "What happened!?" I yelled as I ran to the infirmary to unlock it. They rushed the young girl in. They laid her on the table. She clung onto her father as she cried. She clawed at his shirt as she screamed in fear. I began to cut her shirt off of her shoulder.