Chapter 28

A/N: This is the last chapter for Season 2. Enjoy!

***

Chapter 28

I never knew I was the one who killed my father, Marik said softly.

Really? I retreated to a wall in Mai's room while my friends worked out sleeping arrangements.

I should have known considering what happened to your parents. I felt his frustration. That fiend has made a mess of everything.

What do you want to do?

I do not know what is the right course for me in regards to the pharaoh. I do know that the thing controlling my body needs to be stopped. Will you help me?

Of course.

Good. Let's speak to Bakura. I have a plan.

"Samia," Yugi said as I took a step towards the door. "You don't have a place to stay tonight, do you?"

I stopped and looked at him. "No." I had planned to stay with Marik, but I clearly could not do that now. And there was no way I could convince him to let me stay with Bakura, who everyone thought was unconscious.

"Why don't you stay with me? I'll make sure you're safe."

I smiled slightly. "Thanks, Yugi." To Marik, I said, Maybe we could ask him for help instead.

Are you sure you can rely on the pharaoh in this matter?

"Should we get going then?" said Yugi.

I hesitated. "Just a second." I disconnected my thoughts from Marik and said to Yami, Hey, I have a question.

What is it? said Yami, sounding polite enough.

I swallowed hard. I just, uh, wanted to know if you were willing to help Marik too.

He was silent for a moment. I need to focus on saving the world.

Yeah, but if you can save Marik-

You already have Yugi's agreement. Isn't that enough? I know Marik is in your mind. Do not let him tell you what to do.

Frowning, I looked away. I will not let anyone tell me what to do.

"Is everything alright?" Yugi said in concern.

"Yeah, I just, uh, want to check up on Bakura before we go to bed."

"Oh. I'll go with you."

"No! I mean, that's alright. I would like some privacy. Don't worry; I'll be with you shortly."

Yugi frowned slightly. "If you're sure... Just be careful. Who knows what will happen if Marik's dark side sees you?"

"R-Right." I felt disheartened as I left the room.

Are you okay? Marik asked softly.

I'm fine. It's just- You were right about Yami. Our relationship is due to the bond we cannot help. There is nothing real there.

I felt Marik sadden as well. This isn't what I wanted.

It doesn't matter. It's better I know the truth. He did not press me further. I reached Bakura's door and knocked.

I heard the sound of shuffling. Then Dark Bakura opened the door. He looked at me with mild curiosity. "Shouldn't you be in bed?" he said.

"I need to talk to you," I replied. "Well, Marik needs to talk to you."