Jealousy

Avery woke up to an empty couch, but the sounds of coffee being made. She sat up and saw her wife's head from over the small wall divide for the kitchen. She blinked a few times, shuffling to the edge of the pull out couch and rubbing her face. She watched Maggie for a few moments as she bustled around the kitchen.

"Morning, gorgeous," Maggie looked up. She came around from the wall fully dressed.

"Morning. Did you want coffee? Or tea?" She asked, walking over.

"Only if you've already made enough for another cup," she was willing to bet that Maggie hadn't slept. "How are you feeling this morning?"

"Fine. Did you sleep okay?" Maggie was changing the livestream, before going back into the kitchen.

"Did you sleep at all?" Avery countered. She hadn't slept well, but that wasn't what she was worried about.

"I mean, there were a few times I think I dozed off," she shrugged. Called it. Avery nodded.

"What are we doing today?" Avery asked.

"Whate'er you feel like," Maggie shrugged. She came back over with an equally dressed up coffee for Avery. Avery took it gratefully and took a sip.

"You're ready to hop on bar at Starbucks. This is amazing, thank you," Avery gave her a smile.

"Glad you like it, I had a great teacher," Maggie said, sitting down back on the couch. Avery watched her worriedly.

"You ready to talk about it yet?" She asked, already knowing the answer. Maggie looked at her confused.

"Talk about wha'?"

"The surfacing trauma of having your religious, conservative mother and equally religious but slightly less conservative father show up at your door? Or getting outed because of it? I don't know what your mom said when you were talking in Spanish but it sounded heated," Avery prodded gently. Maggie blinked.

"I mean, this is how it's always been with my parents, mostly my mam. She tells me I'm doin' something wrong, I try to argue an' she tells me tha' is being ridiculous an' tha's the end of it," Maggie shrugged.

"Just because it's how it's always been doesn't mean it's okay. I'm far from the person to be giving advice on parental relationships, but you're definitely having a breakdown right now."

"It's just easier to put my feelin's in a lil box until they go home," Maggie sighed.

"Just please don't keep them in there forever, you deserve to heal, and you can't do that unless you let yourself feel."

"My ma's always gonna expect me to act a certain way an' I'm just ne'er gonna be tha' for her. When I told her I thought I liked girls back in school she said I was too pretty for something like that," Maggie rolled her eyes.

"You're too pretty for a lot of things but definitely not too pretty to be a lesbian. I'm glad you are, personally. Really benefits me," Avery teased.

"It's the hair, something about it just makes e'eryone freak out," she snickered. Avery shook her head.

"No, it was your eyes. The color, the vibrancy, the way they light up when you're happy or laughing. I've been falling for your eyes for quite a while," Maggie just blushed at the comment, taking a small sip of her coffee. "Whatever you need from me, I'm here," Avery didn't really know how to help with this. Her mother left before she even knew what being gay was, and her dad didn't really care because caring would've meant paying attention. She had no idea how to handle coping with parental rejection.