Chapter Twenty-Four

Two weeks. Ryder hadn't tried to see me again.

I was finally going home but I was wheeled chair bound. I had had a little therapy since talking with my nurse. She was right. Simple things like hand-eye coordination were hard.

The doctor had a specialist come in and assess how messed up my brain was. She placed three colored blocks in front of me and asked me to pick up specific ones. I couldn't do it and ended up breaking down crying.

Zach helped me pack my things as my nurse, Kayla, went over my rehab and medication with my parents in another room.

Things had been awkward between Zach and I since the accident. He came to see me everyday but he always seemed angry.

He harshly shoved clothes in my bag as I sat on the bed with my good leg tucked under me. My other leg was bound from just below my toes to mid thigh in a black cast. And my hip was wrapped in a brace that went around my waist and down my leg to meet the cast. My ribs were wrapped tightly in gauze and tape.

"Zach." I said quietly. He continued shoving stuff roughly into the bag. "Zach." I said louder.

He froze and stared down at the bag of clothes. "What?" he snapped.

"What happened to us?" I asked staring at him.

"I can't look at you." His voice was tight. "I can't look at you because every time I do, I know you're in this position because of him. And I know I promised you I wouldn't do anything rash, but Erin, I don't know how long I can control my anger." He looked up finally meeting my eyes.

Before I could respond, a nurse came in pushing a wheel chair with a pile of stuff sitting in the seat.

"Hi, Erin!" she said cheerfully. "My name is Maddie and I will be your discharge nurse. You ready to get out of here?"

I smiled at her. "You have no idea."

She laughed and pushed the chair so it was beside the bed. "I'm just going to change all your bandages so they're fresh before you go."

I nodded and she laid all the bandages and gauze and scissors on the bed.

She replaced the gauze and bandages on the stitches on my forehead and the various bandages on my face. Then she moved onto the ones on my back and she retaped my ribs. Zach kept his head down and continued to pack my bag. "Now, you know you won't be able to wear your hair up until the staples come out and probably for awhile after because the area is going to be tender."

"Okay. You didn't have to shave the area did you?"

I hadn't once glanced in a single mirror; I was too scared. I didn't want to know how bad I looked.

"No. The gash was so deep and you were losing so much blood, we just had to get it closed."

I nodded. "Good."

Zach pulled the zipper on my bag closed, slung it over his shoulder, and left the room without a word.

"Is he your brother?" Maddie asked as she cleaned up.

"No." I chuckled. "My best friend. I mean, we might as well be siblings."

"Ah." she said nodding. "So ready to go?"

I couldn't believe I was finally getting out of here. I looked around the room to make sure I hadn't forgotten anything. I grabbed my phone off the side table and nodded to Maddie.

She helped me off the bed and get settled in the wheel chair. "Your parents are waiting downstairs for us."

We road down the elevator in silence.

The doors opened and my parents waited in the lobby for us with Kayla. I noticed my mom had a thick folder tucked under her arm.

"Ready to go home, baby?" my dad asked smiling.

I couldn't help but smile back. "Absolutely."

"Go home and get rest, Erin." Kayla told me. "We'll see you back here in a few weeks to assess how you're healing."

"Thank you. So much." I told her.

She leaned forward and hugged me gently. "You're a strong girl, Erin." she whispered in my ear. I smiled.

"Wait. We need a picture!" my dad announced.

Kayla laughed and knelt down beside my wheel chair. We smiled and my dad took the picture. "I'll see you soon!" Kayla called as she and Maddie walked away.

"Let's get you home." my dad said smiling as he pushed my wheel chair out of the hospital.

We got to the car and my dad helped me get into the car. I reached for my seat belt and tried to buckled it. I couldn't guide the belt into the buckle.

"Erin," my dad said slowly. My mom turned around from her place in the passenger seat and watched me.

"No!" I said harshly. "I can do it."

My dad let me struggle for a few more minutes before taking the belt from me and buckling it.

The ride home was deathly silent.

My dad helped me out of the car and into my wheel chair.

"We moved your room into the downstairs guest room. Just your bedding and your clothes. We can move whatever else you want." my mom told me as she pushed me inside.

I took a deep breath. It was good to be home.

"I hate to run so quickly. But I need to fill your prescriptions. I'll be back as soon as I can."

"Of course, momma. Of course."

She kissed my forehead and left.

"I don't want to leave you alone, Erin. But I've got to run some errands. We need food and bandages to replace the ones you have."

"Dad, I'll be fine. Go run your errands. I'll be fine here. Really." I assured him.

He looked at me skeptically before kissing my head. "Call if you need anything. Zach should be by in a few hours with your bag."

As soon as he left, I pulled out my phone and texted Ryder. I'm home. Please, I need to see you.

I set my phone in my lap and pushed myself into the living room.

My phone buzzed. My heart fluttered. Are your parents home?

No.

Not a minute later, he responded. I'm on my way.