TMNT 2012 Dragons

AU: Leo turns into a dragon while Splinter is teaching him about avatars. Based on the comic by JazzTheTiger on DevientArt

Maria woke up to her phone ringing, she didn't have to look at the screen to know it was Donnie. She chose ringtones for each turtle; Donnie's was the Flight of the Bumblebee by Rimsky-Korsakov. The jaguar picked up the phone and answered in an agitated but tired voice. "Donnie, if you don't have a death wish, tell me why you're calling in the middle of the night." Not bothered by Maria's threat Donnie said something that snapped the girl out of her tired state. "Maria, it's Leo!" "What?!" Maria rushed out of bed and quickly got dressed, before going out her window. Maria used the fire escape to climb down into the ally and lifted the manhole cover. She closed it behind her and jumped into the tunnels, racing to get to the lair in time. Once she reached the lair, she heard loud noises coming from the dojo. Donnie raced up to her and he was holding what looked like a tranquilizer gun. "Donnie! What's going on?!" "No time to explain!" He led Maria to the dojo and inside was Raph, Mikey, and Master Splinter, but that wasn't what made her freeze. They were trying to fight a dragon, no bigger than an average NightFury male. They had blood on their wings and sides, blue markings against green scales, but that wasn't what made her freeze either. The torn gear and mask of Leonardo was near its feet, but Leo wasn't anywhere to be found. "This was your plan, Donnie?! Get Maria to do her dragon taming on our brother?!" Maria snapped out of her shock and looked to Raph as her got tackled by the dragon, it raised its tail, on the end of it was a blade like tip. A katana like tip. "Brother?!" Splinter knocked the dragon off Raph and shortly briefed Maria on what happened. "I was teaching Leonardo about avatars; I did not think the dragon spirit would choose him." The dragon got up and focused its attention on Maria, its eyes were the same color as Leo's. The jaguar took a breath and let her training take over. "Donnie, those tranqs are a plan B, understand?" Donnie nodded and Maria got to work. She took out a rope like tool from her jacket, it had a weight on one end, and she took off her jacket. The dragon hissed at the jaguar, and she hissed back, springing into action. The reptile pounced and she dodged but managed to make the rope wrap around the dragon's snout. Maria then rushed to its side and climbed on its back, which happened to be a shell with small spikes going down the spine. The reptile bucked and flared its wings as Maria put it in a headlock by using her right hand to hold its head downwards and wrapping her left arm under the head. "Yeah! Ride 'em, Cowgirl!" Mikey shouted but that only distracted Maria as she went to use one of the dragon's pressure points. Maria was headbutted by the dragon and was bucked off. "Maria!" She got back up and growled as she charged again and slid under the dragon. Maria then flung herself back onto its back and put two of her fingers where the tear ducts of the dragon's eyes would be. The dragon froze as a second eyelid closed as Maria dragged her fingers back and over its forehead. The dragon fell forward, and the jaguar took the rope tool off its snout. Maria got off the dragon and went in from of it, Raph coming up behind her which she noticed. "Stay back. I don't know how aggressive it's going to be when it wakes up." Raph stepped back and Maria looked to where Leo's shredded gear and mask, she was worried something bad happened to him. "Where's Leo? What happened?" Donnie stepped around the dragon as Maria kept her hand in front of the dragon's nose so it would know her scent. "Maria, that dragon, is Leo." The jaguar shook her head in disbelief, this dragon couldn't be Leo. Maria looked over at Splinter. "You said something about avatars?" Splinter nodded and Maria finally understood. She knew about avatars and what they could do to someone with little experience with them, dragons happen to be one of the rarest to get as an avatar. She should know, hers was a drake, a wingless cousin of dragons. Her eyes focused back on the dragon, or should I say, on Leo. "Sensei, I need to be alone with him. Could you keep everyone in the den for me?" Splinter nodded and ushered the three younger turtles out of the dojo. Maria closed the door and sat leaning against the tree in the dojo, her eyes closed. Dragon Leo soon woke up and shook himself off, looking around the empty room. His mind was sane now, but he had instincts driving him to sniff around and find out what happened and where he is. His nose caught scent of something familiar. The scent of a rainforest, jungle fruit, jaguars, and other dragons. He looked over to where this scent was coming from, and there, leaning against the tree was a girl. Hair like day lilies and chocolate patterns on her arms and sides as jaguar spots. Tiny dots were under her closed eyes, being curious the dragon walked closer to her. Sniffing her the hand that rested on her stomach, his pupils went from slits to dilated orbs. 'Maria.' He nudged her hand, so it rested on his head as he curled around her. Maria woke up and looked down to see dragon Leo curled around her. "Captain? You here now?" Leo let out a soft roar, she seemed to understand as he raised his head. Leo looked away, guilty for what he's done. He saw everything as the dragon inside of him fought his brothers and father, as he fought his girlfriend. "Leo, it's okay now. I'm ok, your brothers are ok, your Sensei is ok." Leo shook his head and let out a grunt as he looked away. The other turtles were watching from the cracked door as the two had a somewhat one-sided conversation. Maria closed her eyes and her markings glowed as she summoned her avatar, she felt her bones shift and grow as her form changed from mammal to really big reptile. Her drake form was smaller than Leo's dragon form and had her markings and coloring of a jaguar. "I went through the same thing, Captain. I nearly killed my dad, I'm just glad that I remembered the trick he used to knock me out." Leo felt her talons pull his face to look at her. Her crystal eyes had the same slits but different, they were dilated like his were. "Your avatar is a dragon too?" Maria shook her head and explained. "No, mine's a drake, the only difference I have from a dragon is that I don't have wings." Leo looked her over his dragon instincts telling him to flare his wings and impress her. And that's what happened, Leo's body moved on its own as he circled around her, flapping his dried, bloody wings. "What's going on?" Maria giggled and got up. "Looks like instincts are settling in. I've seen young male dragons try to impress females like this." Leo flared his wings again and it was weird feeling the appendages move. "How do I stop it?" Maria sat on her haunches and tilted her head back before prancing in a circle. "Don't fight. Let it flow." The two pranced in a circle and then sat down rubbing their snouts together. "How do I change back?" Maria took a breath and closed her eyes. "Just focus on what you were before this." Maria was back in her human form now, and Leo gave it a try. He felt his bones shift and his wings disappear as he shrunk back to his true self. Maria took his face in her hands and placed her forehead on his, she didn't think this is how she'd see him without his mask. "Good to see you're back, Captain."