e i g h t

The UA Sports Festival arrived so quickly that Reigen's head spun. Of course, the training that they had been doing made time go exponentially faster. The bandage had come off in the days that had passed, and the wound had scarred into a long, jagged line going from right under her right eye to the very edge of her cheekbone.

She stood in a waiting room with the rest of her class, next to Midoriya. They stood in silence, the anxiety for the festival leaving the both of them unable to speak. Iida eventually popped in, telling them that it was almost time to go.

"Midoriya," Todoroki said, walking up to him, Reigen and Mineta.

"Hey, Todoroki. What's up?"

"From an objective standpoint, I think it's fairly clear that I'm stronger than you. However, you've got All Might in your corner, helping you out." Midoriya gasped softly, and Reigen looked at him with wide eyes. "I'm not here to pry about what's going on between you two. But know that I will beat you."

Reigen's heart sank. Between this, and the other classes coming earlier that morning to scope out the competition, she almost couldn't stand the hostility.

"Woah, what's with all these declarations of war lately?" Kaminari said.

"Yeah, what's the big deal?" Kirishima approached Todoroki, placing a hand on his shoulder. "Why are you pickin' a fight all of a sudden? And right before we get started?"

Todoroki shrugged out of Kirishima's grasp. "We're not here to be each other's friends. Don't forget, this isn't a team effort." He made eye contact with Reigen for a moment, catching sight of the hurt look. He didn't soften, though, only walked away.

"Wait a sec, Todoroki," Midoriya whispered. "I don't know what's going through your head or why you think you need to tell me that you'll beat me. And, yeah, of course you're better than me. In fact, you probably have way more potential than anyone in the hero course. That's why you got in so easily."

"Midoriya, maybe you're being a little hard on yourself, and us."

"No, he's right, you guys. All the other courses-- they're coming for use with everything they've got. We're all gonna have to fight to stand out... And I'll be aiming for the top, too."

"Fine," said Todoroki. Reigen walked away from them then, her eyebrows furrowed and unsure of what to do. She knew that they were right, that this wasn't the time to be friends with everyone. She had to fend for herself, and shoot for the top as well.

---------------

After the introductions and Bakugo's speech (if you could call it that), it was time for the obstacle course to begin.

All of the students were standing at the door, waiting for it to open. Reigen was somewhere in the middle, looking around nervously.

This is the first test, she thought. The buzzer is gonna sound and it's gonna be a free-for-all-- everyone trying to get out at the same time.

Immediately after Midnight gave them the go ahead, she regretted her position in the group. All of the students were yelling, and she was being jostled from every which way. She already had her wings out, but she didn't want to use them for fear of hitting others with them.

No, I can't think like that. This is a competition!

She did her best to jump as she spread her wings, but it was no use. With a few good pumps, she was in the air. She yelled 'sorry's to those she hit, but spared no time in flying out of the doorway.

Suddenly, ice engulfed everyone below her and she watched as Todoroki ran ahead of the group. She leveled herself out, increasing her speed and catching up quickly to the boy. Soon enough, Bakugo was on her tail, blasting himself through the air. Aoyama, Kirishima, and Yaoyorozu were hot in pursuit as well, pulling out all the stops to win this competition.