Chapter 18. Rest In Pieces

"YOU GUYS CONTINUE STRAIGHT." I shouted as I floored it and sped off and went off the exit. I flipped the switch on the dashboard and made the exhaust loud to attract the zombies to me and they all followed me and Heather through the exit.
"Baby I need you to roll your window down. We need to keep these fuckers attracted to us with music." I said to Heather as I rolled down my window.
I connected my phone to the radio and put on "Danger Line" by Avenged Sevenfold and turned the volume up as loud as it goes as we drove towards the park where Eagle Cliff is.
We were flying down the roads going as fast as possible through all the twists and turns. The zombies were slowly gaining on us but I continued driving.
I picked up the mic and interupted the music, "We need you guys to meet us at Eagle cliff in about 15 minutes to help clear up the stragglers." I said.
Heather temporarily turned down the radio to ask me a question.
"what exactly is the plan here?" She questioned.
"The goal is to drive towards the cliff then turn away at the last second and have them run past us and fly off the cliff to they're death. There's no way we can fight off this many." I said to her.
"How do we know that it will work?" She asked.
"We don't but it's our best option." I replied.
I continued down the road until we found a sign that informed us Eagle Cliff was 3 miles ahead of us on the left. I pushed the pedal to the floor and we sped up.
The more we drove the closer the zombies got to us.
I continued down the road as fast as the truck would go, getting closer and closer to the cliff. We finally reached the left turn to go into the park and the cliff was blocked off by a locked gate.
"HOLD ON TIGHT." I shouted as I drove into the gate smashing it open. We approached the cliff and I yanked the wheel to the right and we just missed flying off the cliff but the plan didn't work. The zombies turned with us and stayed right behind us.
"FUCK. I DID'NT WANT TO HAVE TO DO THIS." I shouted.
"What? What are we not wanting to do?" Heather asked.
"when I say to, open the door and jump out, I'll be jumping out with you." I replied
"I'm scared but I trust you." Heather\
said.
I continued driving for a little bit and then turned the truck around and started making my way back towards the cliff
"I'm so sorry to this to you baby." I said patting the dashboard of the truck.
I was rowing through the gears until I hit 5th gear. I reached behind the seat and grabbed a piece of scrap metal and put it on the gas pedal as we flew towards the cliff with the zombies chasing after us.
I turned the volume of the radio all the way back up
"Get ready.... Not yet, NOT YET...... JUMP." I shouted over the blaring radio.
We both opened the doors of the truck and jumped out. I looked up at the truck when we landed and watched it speed towards the cliff.
I was fighting back tears, "I'll come back for you baby." I said to the truck as it flew off the cliff with the radio blaring.
The final words I heard out of the radio were "I've sung my last song today." . Almost as if the truck was telling me it's time had come. Most of the zombies followed the truck off the cliff.
It felt like eterity before I finally heard the loud bang of the truck crashing into the ground.
Heather walked over to me and put her hand on my shoulder.
I looked up at her still fighting back tears. She got down on the ground with me and just hugged me.
"It wasnt just a truck, That was my baby, you're my baby too but that was like my child. I bought that truck 8 years ago when I was 20 and I've loved her ever since. She was part of the family." I said to heather
"I know baby, I watched you rebuild the whole thing. I know how much it meant to you."
"I always called it baby because that was her name, her name was baby. I named her after the Impala from Supernatural." I said to her.
"I know. It was a rare and special little truck that got a second chance because of you." She said.
Everyone soon arrived and saw us sitting on the ground and the truck nowhere around.
"You guys alright?" Nick asked.
"We're fine." Heather said.
"Baby sacrificed herself for us." I said.
"The rampage is gone?" Nick asked.
"She's at the bottom of the cliff." I replied, "Let's just get out of here."
Nick helped me up and we walked back to the trucks.
"Do you want to drive the last little bit?" My dad asked me, offering me the keys to his truck.
"Yeah, it'll help me clear my mind." I said taking the keys.
"We'll ride with Tyler's parents so you guys can be together." My mom said to me.
Heather and I climbed into my dads GMC Syclone and we set off towards the prison.