Chapter 13. Road To Pennsylvania

"Are we going with you?" Heather's dad asked.
"Yeah." I responded, "Hurry. Pack you'r stuff, we don't have much time."
"Do you want to drive you'r truck again?" Nick asked me.
"I do actually." I laughed.
He tossed my keys to me and I tossed his back to him.
We all got into our trucks and waited for Heather's parents to be ready to go. They eventually came back out and put what they packed in the bed of they're truck and started it up. We were finally ready to go and so we backed out of the driveway and made our way back towards the highway again.
"Next stop, Tiffany's parents." I said into the mic.
"It's not too far, it's only about a hour from here." Tiffany said through the radio.
"That's not terrible." Nick replied.
We finally got on the highway and made our way to Scranton Pennsylvania.
"Babe, I have a song I want to play." Heather said
"Go for it honey." I said.
She connected her phone to the radio and played "Whatever you like" by T.I.
"When we first started dating you sent this song to me and it's been special to me ever since." She said.
I thought back to that time when life was simple.
"Your so sweet." I said to her.
We drove down the road listening to a old playlist of songs I made for her. The next song that came on was "Can't Help Falling In Love" by Elvis Presley followed by "Always" By Bon Jovi.
We drove down the highway until we arrived at our destination listening to playlist I made for her.
We parked on the side of the road in front of Tiffany's parents house.
"Lets make this quick and smooth, preferably without a ambush." I said.
"You guys can stay here, I'll go get them." Tiffany said through the radio. She got out of Tyler's truck and made her way towards the house. She knocked on the door, we couldn't hear what she was saying but her parents came rushing outside and immediately got in they're 1978 Jeep Comanche and they were ready to leave.
Tiffany walked back to Tyler's truck and climbed in.
I picked up the mic, "Well that looked easy."
"It was, now lets go." She replied
Heather an I both just looked at each other confused on what just happened. I put the truck in gear and we continued on our journey.
"Next stop, picking up my parents and then we get to our new home." I said into the mic.
"Where's you'r parents place at brother?" Nick asked.
"Milanville." I replied.
"I've never heard of that place, but lets do it." Nick replied.
"We have another hour trip to get there. Its not bad, but then we have a 4 hour ride from there to our base." Heather said into the mic.
We continued our journey towards Milanville, and I put "Panama" by Van Halen on the radio.
We were flying down the highway going about 75 the whole way. I looked in the mirror and we looked like a small army all in a V shape formation riding down the highway with a bunch of badass trucks.
We eventually made our way into a small town called Honesdale where we stopped at a gas station.
"Here's the plan, half of us will go inside while the other half goes around the perimeter of the building trying to find a generator so we can fill our tanks." I said to our squad.
We split into 2 groups, I was part of the group that went inside. We walked in with guns at the ready in case something jumped out.
Tyler found a door leading to a basement, "Hey guys, I think I found something." He said as he pulled the door open.
Tyler went down the stairs and I soon followed. We searched through the basement guilded by flashlights until we finally found the generator. I looked at it trying to find the electric start button. I eventually found it and pushed it.
The generator roared to life making a whole lot of noise.
"Fuck that's loud, we need to move fast or we'll have some company."
We ran up the stairs and out of the building towards the trucks.
"Just put pumps in trucks." I said.
Tyler and I scrambled between pumps, opening gas caps and shoving pump handles in. The rest of the group eventually came back out to meet us.
A few zombies started approaching us.
"We got a few stragglers." Nick said, pulling out a machete that was tucked into his boot. He walked over to them and took out the 5 zombies.
We finished pumping gas and we all got back in our trucks.
"It's only a 20 minute ride from here." I said into the mic, as we pulled out the gas station parking lot onto main street. We continued our journey, Heather was falling asleep in the passenger seat as we were driving along. The sun was beginning to set and the sky was turning all different shades of red and pink with some purple as we drove down the road.
We eventually made it to my parents house. My dad's 1992 GMC Syclone sat in the driveway. I ran down to the front porch and opened the door. "Mom? Dad?"
Nobody answered.
"Hello?" I asked, starting to get worried
I waited a few seconds and was getting ready to speak again when the master bedroom door opened and my parents came out. They finally saw me and rushed to come give me a hug, glad I was alive.
"Where's Heather?" My dad asked.
"She's up in the truck. We came to get you so we can all get to where it's safe and we won't have to worry about anything." I replied.
I walked to the window and signaled for Heather to come inside. Heather got out of the truck and walked down to the house and made her way inside.
My mom rushed over to go give Heather a hug. "I missed you! From the day we met you I just knew you two would be together forever."
"I missed coming to hangout with you guys too." Heather said, "But we need to leave, it's not safe here anymore. I'll help you guys pack!"
We all made our way back to the room and began packing suitcases and carrying them to my dad's truck.
"I believe that's everything, lets rock and roll." My dad said.
"So that's where you got that line from?" Heather said to me. She turned to my dad giggling, "Dylan says the same thing."
We all got in our trucks and we were ready to hit the trail once again.