Chapter 41

A vigilant pounce and scarce thud, is all it takes to shake an ounce of the earth's existence to its wake.

If we miss one step, one jump, one reach or one push, then our mission here will be an absolute failure. The earth will wake to our carelessness and our mischievous mission will die. Awakening the consequences that come with sneaking into the school from the backyard, after midnight, to face.

I, personally, have had enough consequences to face for two whole days.

Covering up a crime with a gang of official experts, dumping beer bottles and ditching stolen cars on the side of the road is something I have never done half of my life at Los Angeles.
I, Jules Hawk, am a good boy. A very good one, in fact. Mom made sure of it, every day of her life.

No. That's not it...

I was a good boy... but I guess I'm not anymore.

I've noticed, in the first month of this year, that am not my usual self when I'm with Passion. Or her wild crew. And I'm not a hundred percent positive if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

My rapidly beating heart threatens to burst out of my ribcage with a massive bang.
Something is bound to go wrong. It always does when Passion and I are together.

Shit always goes south!

I can't describe how nervous and scared I feel for what we're doing, but mostly for what's ought to come.

"So, this was the plan?" I sarcastically ask. "Using me as a lever to help you jump over the fence was the plan?"

"You're the tallest amongst us," Drae cheekily informs, then, smugs at the last person I have to help jump over the fence. "Plus, it was your demon's idea," he reminds me as if I've forgotten. A yelp escapes me when he smacks my sweaty back so hard, I literally droop like a dying flower.
"Now, shut up, cup your hands and give me a boost."

I sigh, nonetheless, obey, because arguing about this will get us no where but the principal's office. We all know we can't afford that, now can we?

I cup my throbbing hands and gnash my teeth as his big, dirty sneakers stomp my palms, demanding a strong boost. Drae grasped the edge of the brick fence and managed to jump over the high wall when I pushed him upwards, landing with a loud grunt on the other side.

"Not so loud," whisper-hissed Sammy. "You'll get us caught."

"Sorry. I'm still a bit drunk," Drae loudly said in his defence.

I wiped the mud off my pink palms on my track pants and whirled around to the second last person standing.

When my eyebrows kiss the dark sky, commited furrows form on my wet forehead. My curls are damped to the breaking pores. The person left is slightly wobbling.

"Are you still drunk?" I ask.

"Uhm. N-n-no. At least I don't think so." Her feet shift as she clears her throat. She looks a bit pissed.
Hell, I'm pissed too.

I nonchalantly nod and turn back to the wall. Cupping my hands below my torso. "All right then. Let me give you a boost."

"Wait."