eighteen

Katherine

As soon as I walked into my apartment on Tuesday after returning from Harry's, I went straight to the gym. I'm not sure how rigorous this training session is going to be, but I prepared my body for the worst. Which was a mistake on my end. I worked out my legs, abs, and arms, the latter of which I mostly focused on. When I woke up yesterday morning, my entire body felt like it was going to fall off.

Even now as I pack up from stuff on my desk to leave for the day, my legs are slightly shaky, and my arm muscles are extremely sore. I spent extra time there last night, practicing my kicks and punches, and making sure my placement was correct, along with making a fist itself.

My plan tonight after I run to the store to pick up some more cat food for Moxie, is to take a long bubble bath with a nice bottle of wine.

I hear the sound of whistling come from behind me. I turn around to find Mikey skipping down to me.

"Heya Kitty Kat, are you ready to start your official training with yours truly tomorrow?" he leaned himself on the edge of my deck, picking around at the candy jar that was almost empty, due to his constant purge of the bowl every morning.

I give him a fake smile "Oh you betcha," he laughs with me, "We're meeting at the gym on Park Avenue, right?"

"Nope, we are going to Harry's house now, did he not tell you that?" Mikey's brows pinch together in confusion, unwrapping a candy and popping it into his mouth.

My stress spikes up, looking at him with just as much confusion. "What? No. Why are we going there, I thought it was just going to be you, Jenny, and I?" my fingers itch to start picking at my nail beds, but I refrain and mess with the strap of my bag.

Mikey blows air through his lips, "Well, that's what I thought too, but Harry wants us to train at his place now," he says between chews, "and believe me, Jenny isn't too happy about the change either," he averts my eye contact, like he wasn't meant to say that.

"What do you mean? I figured they would have made up by now," The conversation that I had with Jenny the other night was filled with her ranting about how angry she was at Harry for getting me into this mess. While I couldn't blame her, I would have thought they would have solved their issues at this point.

Mikey scrunches his face, kissing his teeth, "Harry and Jenny, don't get along very well. They may seem like they do on the outside, but they had a really rough patch a year ago," Mikey shakes his head, like he's trying to rid himself of the memories.

"What happened?" I tried to catch his gaze, but his eyes were looking everywhere but me.

"They had this... mutual friend, who did them wrong; did them both wrong. And when they left, Harry made it all about him. Which is understandable because they were dating at the time, before everything went down."

Jenny never mentioned this to me. It's not my business in the first place, especially if she doesn't want to air out her dirty laundry. She definitely had some choice words about Harry's character mixed into her mix of yelling and ranting, but she didn't talk about his personal life; nor her personal issues with him.

That nagging part of my nosy brain forces me to ask the question, "What.. What went down?" As soon as I asked, Mikey's face twitched, the words on the tip of his tongue.

Right as he goes to open his mouth, Jenny comes walking down the hall towards us. Mikey shakes his head at me, silently telling me he can't talk about it. "I'll see you tomorrow Kat," he smiles at me, walking out of the office.