Chapter 22

Lisa

Nervously, and anxiously, I fix my tie before rapping my knuckles on the door that reads 'Bride'. I don't even know if I should be here after all that's happened, but I made a promise.

Nini opens the door dressed in a silky white robe, her hair and makeup done beautifully. "Hey." she says breathlessly, while looking at me with vulnerable eyes. The tension crackles between us.

I look over her shoulder at her bridesmaids who are happily chatting and laughing with each other.

"I... I'm sorry." I stutter, keeping my voice down. "I don't even know if I should be here right now, after what happened... I... I can leave if you want." I struggle for words, not knowing what to say or how to act.

Nini shakes her head. "No, Lisa." she says softly, while opening the door wider for me to come in. "I want you here. Thank you for coming."

Awkwardly, I clear my throat and step in, setting my camera bag on a nearby chair, and I begin setting up. I snap countless of photos, to document everything and mostly busy myself, while trying to ease the awkward tension between me and the bride.

A half-hour until the ceremony, Barbara comes in to help Nini into her dress and about has a heart attack when she realises that the dress isn't the one she bought her.

"Jennie Kim, what is this!?" Barbara cries, and I quickly slip out the back door, letting them hash out that fight.

Stepping outside, I run smack dab into Judd. Surprisingly, he gives me a sad smile, while patting me on the shoulder. "You're a good person, Lisa. Too good. You've always been a good kid, but I don't know why the hell you're still here, taking pictures."

"Judd, you should hate me right now." I admit miserably, wanting him to hate me. Maybe it would help me ease some of my self-disgust.

He lets out a small laugh, squeezing my shoulder. "I could never hate you, kiddo. You love my daughter way too much. Even when she doesn't deserve it."

Barbara comes storming out of the room, huffing and muttering under her breath. Judd and I look at each other and cautiously walk into the bride's room, finding Nini standing in front of a full length mirror in Mrs. Kim's wedding gown.

The dress is dated, but classic and elegant. It is satin with off the shoulder sleeves and a full skirt, detailed with intricate beading. She looks absolutely beautiful in it.

"Oh, Nini." Judd gasps, tears welling in his eyes. "Is that...?"

Nini turns around to face him, tears in her eyes as well. "Yeah." she chokes out, a smile on her face. "Yeah it is."

Judd strides up to her, placing his hands on her shoulders. "You look absolutely beautiful, baby." He kisses her forehead, wiping away some tears. "How?" he asks, stunned.

"Mrs. Manoban altered it for me."

Judd looks at me in disbelief, while shaking his head. "Too good." he murmurs. "Too good."

I snap some candid photos of the father and daughter pair, until a bridesmaid comes in, letting us know that there's only a few minutes until the ceremony starts.

"I'll see you guys out there." I say, grabbing my camera and exiting, giving them both a moment.