Chapter 17

Lisa

I sit alone at a table in the fancy restaurant, nursing a beer, with my dinner jacket haphazardly draped over the back of the chair. I was sitting with Judd until Nini dragged him away to introduce him to some of her future in-laws.

The rehearsal dinner went well. It's mainly just Taehyung's family and old college buddies at the dinner. I can understand how Nini can feel lonely and want someone else on her side, but now I'm the one sitting at the table feeling all lonely. Only a few people have come up to me to introduce themselves and I've had to awkwardly tell them that I'm the photographer who just so happened to go to high school with Nini. I refuse to mention anything about our relationship history, sensing that would be wildly inappropriate and awkward.

My eyes scan the room, landing on Nini in her white lacy sundress, going around from table to table to entertain her guests. Unlike her soon-to-be husband who's sitting in the corner, downing beers with his buddies, she's being a gracious host, managing to look beautiful and elegant while running around to make sure that everyone but herself is having a nice time.

I've realised that Judd is not with her, and I get up to stretch my legs and look for him. Wandering around, I find the back exit and slip out to get some fresh air. Outside, I find Judd sitting on a low brick wall, staring up at the sky.

"Hey, Judd." I say, taking a seat next to him.

He gives me a nod, extending out his beer bottle and I clink the neck of my bottle with his. We both take a long swig, sitting in a comfortable silence.

"What are you doing out here?" I ask.

"Too stuffy in there." he says. "The temperature and the people."

I can't help but crack on a smile. I can tell that Judd's uncomfortable. High class people and events that don't include paper plates or home cooking aren't his scene. I'm pretty sure that this is the first time I've seen him in a dress shirt and pants, aside from Mrs. Kim's funeral.

"I feel you."

"You know..." Judd starts. "I've always pictured this night going a lot differently. It was supposed to be you in there with my little girl, holding her hand, walking around and smiling as you mingled with your guests."

"Judd..." I said, while shaking my head, with my throat growing tight.

Judd lets out a small, and sad laugh. "Your pop and I would be tossing back beers together, and your mama would be fixing your tie every five minutes, making sure that everything is perfect. Hell, even my wife would be here. She should be here. Helping Nini get ready for her big day." Judd takes in a shaky breath, with his lips tight as he tries to hold it together.

"Judd." I say painfully, begging him to stop.

"Aside from my wife's death and losing my leg in war, I'd have to say one of the most painful days I've ever experienced was the day you came back to the house to give me back that ring, because Nini said no. The hurt I saw on your face..."

When I proposed to Nini, I did it with her mama's ring. As per tradition and out of respect, I'd went to Judd and asked for his blessing to propose to his daughter. He was thrilled, told me that I was like the child he never had and gave me full permission to marry Nini, even giving me the ring that has been passed down for generations on Mrs. Kim's side of the family to propose to Nini with.

"It should be you, Lisa." he says inarguably. "You know it, I know it, and this whole damn town knows it. Even Nini knows it, but..." He shakes his head glumly. "You two kids were crazy about each other."

I try my best to swallow past the lump in my throat but fail. To try to help, I take a large gulp of the beer. "That was a long time ago, Judd."

"But a love like that doesn't fade. I still see it in Nini's eyes when she looks at you."

"She's getting married tomorrow, Judd." I spit resentfully, while wishing that he would stop.

Before he can say anything more, a truck comes rolling up, with its headlights blinding me for a moment. It stops in front of us and Judd stands. "That's my ride." he informs me.

"You're leaving?"

"Yeah, that's an old buddy of mine." Judd nods towards the truck idling in front of us. "Told him that I'd hang out with him for a bit while I'm in the city. Here..." he fishes around in his pant pocket, pulling out the keys to his truck. He picked me up and we drove here together. "Get my baby girl home safe." he says, while throwing me the keys, and I manage to catch them one handed.

Judd jumps into the truck and they take off, leaving me sitting outside all alone. I puff out a long breath before finishing up the contents of my beer bottle and head back inside. I take a seat back at the table, pulling my phone out of my pocket to keep me company.

A while later, a loud sigh comes from my right and I turn my head just in time to see Nini plop down in the seat next to me, looking totally exhausted. "Looks like you're having just as much fun as I am." she says, while gesturing towards my phone.