Chapter 2

Azrael was pacing the bus, looking like he wanted to punch something. When I got to the retelling of the lashes from the belt, Azrael had deposited me on top of Chogan and began walking back and forth with a dark look in his eyes.

And he hadn't stopped even after I was done talking. I kept glancing his way as the discussion continued.

"So you're saying Ethan is actually Thomas? How is that even possible." Ryder looked dumbstruck. He had known Ethan in college.

"How well did you actually know him?" Rowan inquired.

Ryder rested his elbows on the table that was now set up between us. "Not very well." He admitted. "He had joined the fraternity I was in maybe a few weeks prior to the outbreak. He had singled me and Blaise out and just started tagging a long with us. Tucker was a recent edition as well. I don't think he and Ethan knew each other prior to joining the frat. Tucker just started following Ethan around like a lackey."

Kaito reached around Chogan and poked me in the side. I squirmed into Rowan, who in turn wrapped an arm around me, pinning me to his side.

"Do we think Ethan and Thomas might be two different people?" Kaito volunteered.

I started to shake my head, but Chogan spoke up. "No. I believe he may have DID."

Ryder nodded. "That would make sense considering what Atalia has told us of their childhood."

"What is DID?" I asked.

"It stands for Dissociative Identity Disorder, previously known as multiple personality disorder." Ryder explained. "It's believed the cause is from severe trauma as a way to help a person avoid bad memories. It's characterized by the presence of two or more distinct personalities, or alters. Although, I've rarely heard of only two alters. Usually there's more than that, but it's not unheard of."

"Well... I think the Ethan alter hates me, but Thomas doesn't." I chewed on my lip. "There were times in our childhood where Carroway started separating us. Soon after that, it was as if Thomas started hating me. But I guess that's when Ethan made an appearance. Thomas was the one who saved me from the basement. Had Ethan been in control, I would probably be dead."

"You rescued yourself." Chogan kissed my temple. I leaned into his warmth. "Thomas just helped you off the table."

"Is there a way to help him? It will be hard for me to separate Thomas from Ethan after everything Ethan put me through, but it would be useful having Thomas around. He could help me make sense of my past memories. He was also experimented on. He may also play a key part in finding a cure." My stomach soured at the thought of having Ethan or Thomas around again, but if it meant finding a way to protect those I cared about quicker, then so be it.

Ryder shook his head. "Treatment can help, but there is no cure."

I would be lying if I said I didn't feel any relief at that.

"We will just have to figure things out as we go." Rowan tussled his hair for the millionth time. "Carlos is going to be banging on that door any second now. His curiosity is overwhelming. Atalia, by no means am I telling you what to do, but I think you should be wary of what you confide in to Doc."

"Since when are you not bossy?" I teased, but sobered immediately at what he implied. "Did something happen while I was away to make you distrust him?"

"No." He admitted. "I just have this gut feeling something is off."

I knew a little bit about those feelings. "Okay."

"That easy? No argument?" He looked a bit surprise.