Part 1; Chapter 4: Hers

Well, there's no use in beating around the bush," began the man. Peggy looked over to Howard, who looked very uncomfortable in his spot behind the director. It definitely was a first. "The only way to recover our super soldier is to recreate him. His blood samples are all we have, and since they include his DNA, the idea is that we could create a super soldier."

"What do you need us for?" Called a blonde agent in the far corner.

"Well, it won't be exactly Captain Rogers, it will be-"

"His child." Peggy realized. "You need a carrier for the captain's child." The director looked anxiously into the crowd of female agents, while Howard nodded ad his friend. He knew who it needed to be.

"This one does pay well. Applications can be found outside this room and submitted to the lab by the end of the hour." He gave a glance to Peggy, and Peggy understood. She would go into the lab and hand it to Howard personally, and he would do everything in his power to help her.

Nine months later, Peggy sat in her home, holding a little bundle close to her.

Brooklyn Jemma Rogers.

And she was Peggy's. Only Peggy's.

"Darling?" Called a voice from the front of the parlor. The excited four-year-old looked up and jumped off the bench.

"Mama!" She greeted, giving her mother a large hug.

"Hello, darling." Her mother responded, hugging the young blonde close to her. The little girl stumbled, as if she were dazed. "Are you alright?"

"Yes," she looked up joyfully, "I'm just tired. They added some clear serum today, but I just drank it. I fell asleep and Uncle Howard woke me up."

"What?" Peggy stood up abruptly and looked up. Howard stood gravely to a corner.

"They didn't tell me that they added something to my serum- I was just doing testing, you and I agreed no experiments. I fired everyone who went behind my back and gave her an antidote immediately. She almost died."

"The antidote?"

"Effective- mostly. It kept her alive, but I don't know what the extra costs of that were. We are going to have to do more testing."

That made Peggy's head snap up from watching the little girl. "I thought I made it clear. They aren't keeping her in a lab every day. She's starting school soon."

"I know, Peggy."

Peggy sighed and rubbed her forehead, exasperated. She decided to change the subject. "Did Maria enjoy her time over?"

"She did. She wanted me to tell you that Little Miss Super Soldier here is the 'most dear little girl she's ever laid eyes on'." Howard quipped, but a soft smile dawned his face as he looked at his niece.

"Howard, I need to ask you something." Peggy picked up Brooklyn, who had run back to get her little teddy bear.

Howard took Brooklyn from her mother and turned toward the stairs. "Go for it, Peg, but Brookie here needs to get ready for tonight."

"Will you be her godfather?"

Howard froze and turned back around. "What?"

"Would you be her godfather? I don't know if I could bear knowing that if something happened to me she would just live at SHIELD. I want her to be with someone she knows and trusts."

Howard stared softly for a minute. "Peggy..." he turned to the child in his hands and muttered, "I don't think you could have made me happier."

"So you accept?"