Soldier's Accomplice

Fear filled Steve's head as he watched his daughter go limp. "Brooklyn?" He asked, hoping she'd wake up to help assess the situation.

Natasha raised her gun to shoot at the new man, when, suddenly, from behind, another truck nearly plowed the superheros over, knocking the pistol straight from her hand.

Steve clutched his daughter tighter. She wasn't dying on his watch, not today. He held his body over her own as Sam spun out of the way of the Hydra truck, trying to regain control of the car.

Unfortunately, the shooter from earlier was still on top of the car. He reached in, ripped out the steering wheel, and grabbed Brooke's shoulder.

"Damn!" Sam exclaimed.

"Hell, no." Steve snapped as he pulled Brooke out of reach. "She's mine."

Natasha shot at the assassin again, forcing him back on the truck behind them. The truck sped up, ramming into the car over and over again, until the car was suddenly lifted of the ground.

Steve used one hand to throw Brooklyn into Sam's arms, the other to secure his shield in the door. "Do not let her go, do you hear me Sam?" Steve threatened.

 Holding onto Natasha and Sam, he yelled, "Hold on!", then slammed his body against the door just as the poor demolished car flipped on its side. Steve got all four of the bodies to land on the shield and the door to protect themselves. Steve held tightly to Natasha, and he prayed the Sam, who had rolled off the shield, was also tightly holding to Brooke.

He watched the assassin receive a new gun and heard a feeble voice, "You aren't going to like that one." He saw his daughter, a sickly pale, standing up next to Sam, but Steve could tell by her face that one good hit would send her right back out of consciousness.

The blast hit him as he pushed Nat away, and it sent him reeling into a passenger-filled bus.

Brooklyn, just barely awake or even alive, ran for cover with Sam as a strike team closed in around them. She ran behind one, two three cars before Sam finally told her, "Keep running and do not stop for anything. Your dad will kill me if anything happens to you."

That confused Brooke. Her dad was dead. Everyone knew this. Did he mean Steve?

"Brooke, get out of here!" Sam yelled, and Brooke ran to jump off the bridge and find a hiding spot down below.

The ten-year-old grabbed a pillar and slid down before hiding under the overpass. Not too long after, Natasha also joined her, throwing her a gun. "Hold your own, kiddo."

"I can't kill anyone else. I can't." Brooklyn began to tear up.

"Brooklyn, listen to me." Natasha whispered. "I know a thing or two about having blood on my hands. But I've learned to be okay with it, and I can still fight, knowing I'm fighting for good.  You need to make a choice. When I met you, I was told you were the Winter Soldier's accomplice. Who are you now?" She swiftly stepped into the sunlight and shot at the Winter Soldier, and Brooklyn nodded, impressed, and quietly waited for her chance.

As Natasha ran for cover, Brooklyn ran out and followed her quickly. A loud thud jolted her from her escape, and she turned to see her friend, her Uncle Bucky, though he couldn't remember he was. The Winter Soldier had landed on top of a car, crushing it. He immediately began to stride toward them, ready to strike, but Brooklyn thought she may have seen a glimmer of rermorse in Bucky's eyes.

Natasha was quick, she began recording herself, and by the time the girl caught up to hear her, she was saying, "Taking fire above and below the expressway- civilians threatened, repeat, civilians threatened!" She gestured for Brooklyn to speak into the phone as  well, and the child nodded quietly.