Just a Girl named Brooklyn

Brooklyn woke up, startled. The dream (she knew it wasn't, but she really wanted to pretend it was) had scared her so bad she could just feel the tears rolling down her cheeks.

Another person dead in Hydra's name. Her only friend in that awful place, ordered to kill her after her torture and agony. 

The child thought back to Rumlow- he was a part of Shield and Hydra, right?

But Shield was supposedly good. Hydra was definitely bad. He couldn't be a part of both.

That left two options. Rumlow was a spy- a rat who had completely and utterly infiltrated and poisoned Shield, or Shield and Hydra were the same thing, and Shield was just bad.

Since the second was more likely, she couldn't trust Rogers and Natasha, could she? These people had to be bad, too.

Brooklyn was so deep in thought, she hadn't realized Rogers had entered the room.

"Brooklyn?" She looked up and snapped out of her thoughts.

There was the Captain America, but he was apparently evil. Why hadn't he given her back to Hydra yet? Surely he'd get a great reward from his handler.

"I'm sorry." She told him. "It wasn't meant to last this long, I was going to come back. I just wanted to know what happened to-"

Steve was confused- he had a lot of questions. He had no clue why she was apologizing, what wasn't meant to last this long, and where she was going back to. He figured he'd start with the easy question.

"To who?"

She seemed hesitant. "If I tell you, will you wipe my memory?"

That shocked Steve. "Wipe your- Brooklyn, do you think we're Hydra?"

Brooklyn nodded bleakly. Shaking his head firmly, Steve placed his hands on his daughter's shoulders. "Brooke, we are not Hydra- we're trying to take it down. You are never going back there again."

She sniffled. "I was going to. But about five minutes ago, my handler gave my only friend in that place a kill order. Me."

"How do you know that?"

"I saw it. In my dream. It's part of my power."

Steve decided to stay on topic and not open that can of worms. "You are not going to die, Brooke- we won't let that happen."

"If he's doing it, you can't stop him."

They sat in silence for a few minutes before Steve sighed. "You never said who it was you wanted to know about."

Brooklyn didn't look up from her lap. "My mother and Uncle. Peggy Carter and Howard Stark."

"Peggy's very old now, but she lives in a nursing home in New York. If- and when- we get out of this mess, I'll take you."

"What about my uncle?"

Steve hesitated. How do you tell a little girl her uncle, her godfather, her best friend had been assassinated by the same organization that had kidnapped her?

"Brooke-"

"Don't. If it takes that long just to figure out how to say it, I already know what it is."

"I'm really sorry."

"Don't be." She said bitterly. "Your empathy can't bring him back."

"I really wish it could- for your sake." He told her softly. "If I had to trade my life for his, just so that you could see him again, I would do it in a heartbeat."