Chapter 3: Warmth

Rebecca walked down the hall, and turned left, continuing to walk, until she came across one dorm, with the nameplate being labeled "Doorman". This apartment of course belonged to Khan Doorman, leader of the Worker Defense Force, and his daughter Uzi, the one who managed to bring murder drones into the colony, and make them somewhat accepted. Rebecca had bullied Uzi before, just because she wanted to impress Lizzy. But ever since last night, she had regretted being mean to Uzi. She was going to apologize to her, so Rebecca knocked on the door, and waited for someone to open the door. The door was unlocked, and opened a crack.

???:
"Hello? Who's there?"

Rebecca:
"It's Rebecca, I'm one of Uzi's classmates... I came here to apologize to her for yesterday..."

The door opened fully, to reveal Khan. He looked tired and somewhat disheveled. His helmet was off, revealing the equivalent of a receding hairline, and his mustache was on crooked.

Khan:
"Apologize for what?"

Rebecca:
"Umm, yesterday she was getting a thing from her locker, and I kicked out the books from under her... I wanted to apologize to her..."

Khan:
"Well, she is unfortunately not here, but if you want, I can tell her for you."

Rebecca:
"Thank you. I was trying to impress someone, who turned out to just be keeping me around for no reason."

Khan:
"Sigh... kids can be mean. You look... scared... are you doing okay?"

Rebecca was confused by this. Why was Khan suddenly caring for others? What happened to the man who only cared for doors?

Rebecca:
"Yeah, I guess. Last night was scary. I thought Doll was my friend... but she's a monster..."

Khan:
"Yes... I'm just glad my daughter was able to stop her. She helped stop the chaos... and I'm proud of her for that."

Khan started to smile and he looked happier. Rebecca felt even worse for what she did.

Khan:
"I will be sure to let her know Rebecca. Thank you for coming by."

Rebecca:
"Well, I should probably go now. It was good to see you..."

Khan:
"Same to you!"

Khan shut the door, and Rebecca started walking around aimlessly, trying to find something to do. Suddenly, she could hear a distant guitar. She tried following the noise, and walked around for a while, only to find a worker playing a guitar. He had shoulder length brown hair, with bangs long enough to almost cover his eyes. His hands would strum the guitar so elegantly, with the red triangles of his hands barely showing through his black fingerless gloves. He was sitting, with one knee up, showing his green sneakers juxtaposed to his black jeans. He seems to be partly siting on an overcoat, with a piercing red flowing all throughout it. Behind his guitar, she could see a nice white hoodie. His eyes were closed, as he appeared to be entranced in his music, playing it like there was no tomorrow. He stopped playing, and opened his eyes, only to look up and be startled by Rebecca.

???:
"Oh jeez! I'm sorry, I didn't know anyone was there!"

Rebecca:
"N-no! You're fine! I enjoyed your music... what song was that?"

The drone slung his guitar over his shoulder and he stood up, with the tailcoats of his overcoat coming up as well. He adjusted the white beanie atop his head, making sure it was on straight.

???:
"It was a human song, Aegen by Malice Mizer I think..."

Rebecca:
"Well, I enjoyed it, you seem to be amazing at it!"

???:
"Well, music is my passion, I enjoy the feeling it gives me and others. It's apart of me as a drone."

Rebecca felt a warmth inside her, like she was making a connection with someone.

Rebecca:
"Well, it's always great to be passionate about things like that..."

???:
"Heh, yeah...I never caught your name?"

Rebecca:
"I'm Rebecca! What's your name?"

???:
"My name is Adam. It's nice to meet you."

Adam extended his hand out, which Rebecca took and shook.

Adam:
"So, what are you up to today?"

Rebecca:
"Nothing really, I'm just waking around. And I can see you're playing your music.."

Adam:
"Yeah, do you possibly wanna hang out?"

Rebecca:
"That would be great!"

Adam:
"Lovely! Well, what should we do first?"

Rebecca thought long and hard, before suggesting...