Chapter 4: Growth

"He punched the highlights out of her hair!"

Rebecca and Adam were watching a movie over at Adams. Adam sat, slumped on the side of the couch, while Rebecca was sitting straight up, with the two tips of her index fingers touching. She doesn't know why she does this; it just one day became a habit for her. The two continually watched the movie, where a man with vegan powers threw the main character through some walls.

Rebecca:
"When did you say this came out again?

Adam:
"2010, many humans back then called this film ahead of its time. I personally enjoy it."

Rebecca:
"How did you find it?"

Adam:
"A random human had it in a locker, and I knew he would have no use for it since... heh, y'know."

Rebecca:
"Ha! Exactly."

As time passed and the movie went on, Rebecca slowly inched herself towards Adam. Sure, she was enjoying the movie, but more than that, she enjoyed having some connection to someone other than her family. She felt like she was doing the right thing. Although, she continued to think about her nightmare. The visions of hundreds dead at her feet, it still gave her chills. She was scared of what was happening to her but being with Adam helped take her mind off of it. More time passed, and the movie ended, and Adam got up to grab some more movies, while Rebecca just stayed sitting. He came back with three more films and sat right next to Rebecca.

Adam:
"Ok, so we have Back to the Future II, uhh, Shawn of the Dead, and Wall-E. What do you want?"

Rebecca thought for a bit and looked around for a bit.

Rebecca:
"How about Wall-E? That looks interesting..."

Adam:
"Sure thing! Lemme just get it set up..."

Rebecca watched as Adam would slot the disk into the holo-projector. He sat down, right next to Rebecca, and grabbed a blanket. He would hold up one side of the blanket, offering it to Rebecca, to which she took it and partially draped it over herself, and scooted closer to Adam, to the point their shoulders were touching.

Adam:
"So... tell me about yourself."

Rebecca:
"O-Oh, well, there's nothing really to say. I'm just a normal worker like you..."

She looked over to him and became flustered and started blushing.

Rebecca:
"I-I'm not insulting you! I mean you're great at guitar! A-And that's cool..."

Adam snickered a bit.

Adam:
"Ha, you're fine Rebs! I know you don't mean anything by it."

Rebecca became less flustered, still blushing, as she stared into his red eyes.

Rebecca:
"Yeah, it's just, I'm pretty boring, and you're interesting! You can play the guitar, you watch old human movies, and you... you... you just look nice..."

Adam looked partially surprised. He smiled and blushed a little bit.

Adam:
"Th-thank you. no one's ever told me that before. I appreciate that..."

Rebecca:
"Yeah..."

Adam:
"So, do you have any siblings?"

Rebecca:
"Yes! I have two, there's my baby sister, her names Nova."

Adam:
"Ah, an untrained neural network, those are always fun to deal with, as my parents would say..."

Rebecca:
"Yeah, my parents said I was a handful, but not as much of a handful as my slightly older brother Thad..."

Adam:
"Thad... I know that name... my sister talks about him sometimes?"

Rebecca:
"Who's your sister?"

As if right on cue, a drone walked into the room, wearing a red and black cheerleading uniform, with very light blond hair swept to one side, with a ponytail being held up in the back with a bow. Rebecca got flashbacks to last night as soon as she saw her. It was the drone that embarrassed her at prom. It was...

Adam:
"Lizzy! Hey lil' sis, have you met my new friend here?"

Rebecca took her right hand, and put it to the side of her head, and partially turned away.

Lizzy:
"Omg? You're new friend? Hahahaha!"

Lizzy was laughing, as Adam looked confused.

Adam:
"What are you laughing at?"

Lizzy:
"The fact that your new friend is kind of a loser..."

Rebecca was now uncomfortable...

Adam:
"She's no loser! She's great! We've been hanging out all day. Where have you been?"

Lizzy:
"Oh, you know, hanging out with friends... oh Rebecca!"

Rebecca looked over to Lizzy.

Rebecca:
"Yes, Lizzy..."

Lizzy:
"Don't get too comfortable being here, because this is probs the last time you'll be over here... Oki! byeeeeee!!!"

Lizzy walked back to her room, with Rebecca feeling embarrassed.

Adam:
"Don't worry about her, she's always like that, and plus... she has plenty of insecurities! And I can share them if you want..."

Rebecca turned back to him, blushing, and smiled. Adam didn't think any less of Rebecca, even after what Lizzy said. She giggled a bit.

Rebecca:
"You can tell me everything later! Hold on..."

Adam:
"What?"

Rebecca:
"The movie isn't even playing..."

They both looked at each other for a few seconds, before laughing. As they were laughing, their hands touched, and a spark formed when their hands made contact with each other. The were both blushing and confused, as they looked at each other. The looks of confusion, eventually turned to that of happiness, as they both got closer together, and Rebecca laid her head on Adams shoulder as he started the movie. Rebecca felt something she never felt before. Was this... love? Perhaps it was.