A Press Conference

A Press Conference

They met in the Oval at 2.45pm. 'Glen. Thank you, you can take a break man', Joe said, shaking his hand.

After Joe had outlined his plan to Jill at breakfast he asked how she felt about facing the day ahead. She admitted she was nervous, afraid of what would happen if she met the man again.

'I know you'll have your team but I'd like to ask Glen to stay with you today. Is that ok?' Joe asked. Immediately she brightened up. 'That's a great idea. Perfect', she exclaimed. 'OK, I'll assign him to you until we get this sorted', he said, resting his hand on hers for a moment. He'd feel much better knowing that he had someone he trusted completely with her today. The fact that the guy was a veteran, had seen action in Afghanistan and seemed to have an undying loyalty to his President and First Lady was a big help too. Minister Baptiste wouldn't get within a thousand paces of her with Glen on duty.

'I'll be having some words with Tony too', he said standing up from the table. 'I know you said it was only a few moments but you should never have been alone yesterday. We need to get that sorted immediately'. He didn't want to scare her but, if that guy managed to get her alone then there was a weakness in the detail and it was inexcusable. He wouldn't settle until Tony had completed a review and fired someone's ass.

Now, in the Oval Office that same afternoon, he told Annie he and Jill were going for a walk in the Rose Garden. Told her that they wanted time alone, just to get some fresh air. He asked where the press pool was. 'Setting up for the press conference, sir', she told him but he'd be on the lookout for cameras nonetheless. He assumed a camera or a listening ear were most places unless he was in the Oval or in either house in Delaware. That and their bedroom in the residence were the only places they could be sure they were not overheard.

They walked together, hand in hand, chatting in the sunshine. They updated each other on the events of the day. The State dinner was tomorrow. The trade deal was to be signed this morning but that had been scrapped. He'd gotten an earful from the French. Gave back as good as he got, and then some. He was in no mood to be lectured. The networks were spinning this as a dereliction of duty. Were asking for his resignation. He was unfit for the presidency. The French said they were boycotting the dinner.

'What if they do boycott it?' Jill asked. 'It's ok, there's a game tomorrow evening. We'll host a watch party on the front lawn and feed the masses the best food and drink the country has to offer', he quipped. 'Don't worry, the dinner will go ahead', he promised her. 'I'll be speaking with Emmanuel shortly.

He stopped, pulled her in for a hug, the better to look around, check for cameras or reporters, couldn't see any. That didn't mean much though.

Just wait until the press conference, he'd face a barrage of questions then. His team was trying to prepare him for it all morning but he refused. Knowing it was a waste of time.

He and Jill had a plan and he was dying to know how she'd gotten on.

'So, what did you find out?' he asked.

She sighed. You were right. 'There's a trail of women. Staff, colleagues, volunteers. Nothing has ever been proven but there's an incredibly high turnover of women on his staff and lots of allegations flowing around in the ether but nothing on record', she explained.

'How about you?' she asked him.

'Mmmm, some rumblings, a few people feel uncomfortable in his presence, felt uncomfortable with extra kisses on the cheek, holding for a little too long but nothing very overt. I think he was probably trying to behave himself but he happened to find you alone and took the opportunity unfortunately'.