10. Dead Languages and Tattoo Artists

Fast forward to after the research. Because even if we are librarians and we love that stuff, you may not want to read about us looking at books forever. Or maybe you do but, well, you won't. Not this time.

So: Surprise! We found out about the ritual. No need to give you the details, which involved many hidden shelves of the library, three different languages that not a single soul on this earth still uses, and pretty unrealistic pictures of unidentified magical items. Easy, Elise said. Sure.

Well, in the end, we did it. We figured out the conditions, the procedure, and the ingredients.

Then I went on an errand mission, running under the snow from one corner of the city to the other, to find what we needed, following Ikshan's instructions. Those included an "herbalist shop" in an abandoned basement and two or three meetings at the backdoor of shady bars and tattoo parlors. I must say I discovered a whole new side of Budapest. And I could have bought many other things that were definitely not on the list... But, worry not, I stayed focused.

Back at the library, I put all the ingredients and items on a wooden table near the door and rub my hands together to warm them, after removing my gloves.

"It's freezing outside. Do you think you could have sent me to regular shops, with regular heaters? No. Of course, it was all back alleys and crumbling buildings."

"Well, you can't find this kind of stuff in a regular grocery store. But I'm sure you met very interesting people."

I scowl at them. "Next time. You'll go."

Ikshan smiles. "I will."

"So, do you think you can do the ritual yourself?" I ask them.

"I didn't design all the magic in the library by myself but I learned a thing or two in the process of protecting this place. I'm pretty sure I can do it."

I frown. "Pretty sure?"

"I mean sure."

I roll my eyes. "Right."

Ikshan laughs. "Completely sure, I promise."

"Okay. So we go back to my apartment, and then we start the ritual. At some point, we touch the piece of metal to make the monster appear. You say the word and, pouf, end of the story?"

"Pretty much."

I frown again. "Pretty much?"

"If everything goes the way it's supposed to be."

"Of course."

"I'll prepare the potion in advance and we'll complete the ritual tomorrow night. You should choose some weapons to bring. Just in case."

"So my apartment will become a war zone again. Got it. I really should have waited to buy my new armchair. It's ugly as hell, but it's so comfortable. I'm going to miss it."

Ikshan looks at me apologetically. "Everything may happen by the book," they try.

I sigh. "Yeah, we can count on that... But it's okay. Let's just finish it and go back to our normal life. I'm exhausted. I want to have some tea, read, and maybe have a new tattoo. Who knows?"

 Who knows?"