18. Tuesday Night at The Pearl

Ikshan

"They look like characters from a freakin' 80s Japanese anime about a singer/magician," Zoé says, her eyes open wide, completely starstruck.

I must say it's a pretty accurate depiction of Elise and James on stage, standing back to back. Their heads are tilted high and they hold their mic even higher above them as they reach the highest notes perfectly in synch. The lights of the stage make both their elaborate blue glittery make-up sparkle.

I can't help but smile, as I see Zoé's head starting to move absent-mindedly in rhythm.

"And it's not even Saturday," a familiar voice says, behind us.

I turn around to see Aidan, Elise's partner, smiling at me, his arms crossed over his chest and his hip leaning against the counter of the bar. Compared to the stars, the vampire is very underdressed but his pair of jeans and white t-shirt convey his warm charisma very well. I hug him. "I'm so glad to be here. Every night is a great night at The Pearl."

"I'm very happy to see you too, Ikshan." He smiles and turns to Zoé. "And it's a pleasure to meet you, Zoé."

She doesn't answer as her focus is still on the two singers who are now in the middle of the dancefloor, leading the crowd in an improvised Madison. Elise's dress flies around her while she dances, as well as James' hair at every sharp move of his head.

"What the hell is this place?" Zoé gasps.

Aidan laughs. "The Pearl is special, as her owner."

She finally notices Aidan. "Oh sorry, you were saying?"

We don't have time to exchange more words as Elise and James reach us after their performance, all smiles and out of breath, while the patrons cheer loudly.

"Ikshan!" She gives me a kiss on the cheek. "Do not hug me, honey. I am all sweaty."

"Don't worry about that."

And with a smile, she opens her arms for me to hold her.

"So, what's up with the library?" James says, waving to the bartender for a drink. "We spend two minutes without calling you for an emergency in Paris and you feel the need to unbury a monster/ ancient man cursed by sorcerers in the dawn of time?"

I laugh. "What can I say, I was bored!"

"How long are you staying in Paris?" Elise asks.

"Maybe two or three days."

"Ikshan convinced me to play Lara Croft in Provence. Do you think you can help us prepare for our trip?" Zoé adds.

"Of course, whatever you need."

"Maybe you could talk to Leno. I'm certain it would help him," I say tentatively.

"Yes, I can do that. But... how does it work?"

"You have to touch the piece of metal and he appears in the room."

"So, you mean you have a guy stored in your suitcase at the hotel, waiting in nothingness for the next time you'll deign to call him?" James sums up between two sips of his beer.

I blush. "Well, if you say it like that, it seems weird, but, basically... yes."

He nods. "Okay. It makes me - slightly - reevaluate the level of drama in my life."

"