11. Twister: The Sequel

It could have worked exactly as we had planned, but, of course, it didn't.

Did we have the right ritual? Yes. Did we have the right ingredients? Yes. Did we have the right word? Yes. "So what the hell went wrong?" You're going to ask me.

Well, magic is about power, and either you have this power or you don't. That's why there are individuals called sorcerers or magicians or whatever, and there are those who are not in this category. It's not an innate thing, though. You have to learn it, most of the time the hard way. But it's not a fake it til you make it category either. You'd better know exactly what you're doing when you go this path. So yes, if you are trained a little, you can do some small-scale magic, but if you face the real thing, it's all about a very specific kind of energy and you may not have enough.

See where I'm going here? Yep, the spell was a strong one, a stronger one than we thought. And trying to master a strong spell is like swimming against the sea current. It fights back.

So here we are, Ikshan and I, in my apartment, at night. We set up the translucid stones - the ones the tattoo artist gave me - all around Ikshan on the floor. And in the middle, Ikshan has the potion in a small bottle. I stay outside the circle, my back against the wall.

The whole time, the piece of gold metal lies on the floor and, while we avoid it like the plague, our eyes are constantly focused on it, as if it were to jump at us at any moment.

"Are you ready?" Ikshan asks.

"I am. Are you?"

They nod and take a deep breath. First, they drink the potion. I low-key expect Ikshan to turn purple or something, but they seem to deal with the magic beverage pretty well. Then they chant the words of the ritual, and small lines of light start to form between the stones like strings and the stones themselves lighten.

Ikshan looks at me then, indicating that the roughest moment is going to happen. They crouches to take the piece of metal, still chanting the ritual.

And as the previous times, it appears. Out of nowhere. Or more exactly it forms as a small storm of dark dust, twirling in my living room. And in no time it is there, with all its claws and all its teeth.

The only difference is that this time, it seems not to be able to move. Ikshan keeps on chanting, but their voice quickly turns strained and they frown. I feel like their huge body starts to curl up as if under great pressure.

"Ikshan?" I yell. "Are you okay?"

I can see that they can't move or answer me as the tension of the spell doesn't leave them time to breathe. And the pressure intensifies to the point where Ikshan stumbles onto words, and I can see that they are in a lot of pain. I also notice the monster moves a few millimeters toward him.

"Ikshan, the spell is too strong. You have to stop!"

I don't know what to do. It could kill Ikshan, whether the magic itself or the monster if it's released. Oh no, it was a bad idea. And don't tell me you told me so, okay? We were prepared. I mean, as prepared as we could.

And as it happens most of the time, I do not think twice and just act, following my gut instinct. I cross the line of light and take Ikshan's hand. A wave of power overwhelms me, battled by another power, this one darker. I put my other hand on Ikshan's arm, clinging to them like a sailor at a mast in the middle of a tempest, but also trying to give them all the energy I have to complete the spell.

Ikshan straightens their shoulder and lifts their head. They stop chanting for a couple of seconds before saying the word. The magical word which is supposed to put an end to all this drama.

At first, nothing happens and we look at each other with fear.

But then, we hear a low rumble. I thought the monster would just disappear for good but instead, its body made of mist seems to twirl again and transform. It looks like a mini-hurricane in my living room, stronger than before. And when it stops and dissolves, the strings of light between the stones fade out and we can't feel the tension anymore. But in front of us, in the circle, there is not nothing left. Nope, there is definitely something standing now in the middle of my apartment. And that something is definitely a someone.

 And that something is definitely a someone