19. An Office With a View

Ikshan

Elise has invited us to her apartment. We're supposed to meet the magician who is going to help us, Sonia, there. But first, she agreed to talk with Leno. She suggested we could have the discussion in her office, and we rearranged slightly the setting so it is not too overwhelming for Leno. We almost closed the curtains to prevent a look at the city - a shame as the view of Paris' roofs from this top-floor apartment is breathtaking - and we dimmed the lights.

Even in this context, when Leno appears, I can see he's anxious. No wonder, as he lands abruptly in a new place with someone he doesn't know emerging from the chaos he feels every time he reappears. But I am not worried, because, obviously, Elise is going to do her thing.

Indeed, she smiles and approaches him carefully. And when she has enough reassurance that he is not trying to get away from her, she wraps his left hand in both of hers, with an intense delicacy. I'm almost jealous she dared to touch him and I imagine what it feels like.

Leno's gaze is locked on hers. And, I swear, a dim light softly glows around their hands for a minute. I know what Elise can do now but to witness it is something else. I blink. My heart skips a beat, waiting for Leno's reaction. After what seems like a short eternity, he smiles, and she smiles even more.

"It is an honor to meet you, Leno," she says.

"And of course, she speaks perfect Latin," whispers Zoé beside me, without any ounce of irony.

Looking at Leno and Elise talking is mesmerizing because, let's face it, I am always mesmerized by Leno, but also because Elise is instilling such an atmosphere in the room that it seems like it's now protected from the sounds of the outside world as if she had drawn a circle around Leno where he could feel safe.

And he obviously does, because he talks to her very calmly now. She doesn't push for information about his life, but she tells him where she comes from and that she is from his time. His green eyes turn to me and glisten, in an expression of gratitude. I nod discreetly and I can't help a self-satisfied grin invade my face. Elise then listens to what Leno chooses to tell her, about his situation and about the ritual.

After his explanations, he adds: "Even if the ritual works, though, I..." He hesitates and shakes his head as if to get rid of an idea.

"You have a place here, Leno. Do not think you do not belong."

He smiles sadly. "I'm not sure about that."

"It is going to be a difficult path, but you can do it. You have friends now. We will help you when it will be time for you to find out about this world. I know Ikshan will take care of you," she says while throwing a mischievous glimpse at me.

I think I'm blushing. Zoé tilts her head and rolls her eyes.

Elise continues: "But if you need anything, know that I will be there for you too."

"Why are you doing this? You don't know me."

Elise looks at me with a smile of complicity while saying: "That is what we do."

"