19

A knock on the garage port dragged her out of her thoughts.

"Yes. Come in" She yelled

"I have a package for Julie Pearson" The man said "Will you please sign here"

She signed. She hadn't ordered a package.

She opened the little brown package to relveal a small black box. This looked expensive. The small black box contained a phone. It had cover and everything. The screen lit up. The phone had received a message.

"I hope you like it. Now you can call me anytime you'd like"

She was speechless. He bought her a phone. The man must be insane.

"please answer" The next text said.

"What is the Julie?" Her father said

"It's a new phone" She mumbled.

"The old one really did need a replacement" He said with a soft smile "We will make it through. It's just a bad period"

She nodded.

"I've been invited to an arrangement with next year's new models tomorrow" She said.

"Ohh that sounds great"

"Yeah..." She hesitated. "But it means I will work less, meaning less money for the bills"

"Julie... Take a night off. You deserve it. Besides we don't have that many cars in right now" He smiled. Knowing that she had taken extra shifts in the bar.

"I don't know dad. I hate leaving you here with all the work" Her face filled with sadness. She hoped that they would make it but she also saw the men in the bank. They meant it this time. There would be no second chance.

She went back to work.