Sincerity

Dear _________,

I can't remember how long it's been since we we last spoke at length. I can't remember a lot of the details of why we don't. But I had a dream about you last night and I can't seem to get it out of my head.

You were explaining to me the disability that you suffered from; a disability that, of course, in real life, does not exist. Though, I suppose that's just my mind's way of coping with the fact that I was young and dumb and too blinded to see what I was doing.

And even in my dream it was unrequited. Even in the place that is solitude and quiet I can find no harbor in the fact that what I did was so unbelievably stupid that it cost me a relationship that I spent years building.

It's a shame, to be 100% honest with you, that I did what I did not knowing the consequences. I can apologize for the rest of my life but it will never change the fact that that relationship, that trust has been broken. And want something like this is broken, I can never truly be repaired. It's been almost 10 years without a word. My folks to you, you to my folks, me to you or you to me, a word has not been spoken.

And sometimes I wonder if that's best, if it's meant to be this way, that I could have never come as far as I did without the breakage, that I could never be where I am now because of the things I did in my past.

And perhaps I'm right, I'd like to think I am in a way, that what was done was the Universe's way of telling me to quit while I was ahead.

If only I had listened.

Sincerely,

                  ________