Chapter Nine

Nathan's POV

"Good morning, Nate. So when do we go meet your friend?" She asks as she quietly walks into the kitchen and sits down at the island. I turn around and smile.

"We can leave after we finish up with breakfast. In a jury to find out who you are?"
"Not in a hurry, just want to find out who I am and where I come from for the baby."
"I just hope that we find everything for you and not disappoint you."

I turn my attention back to the stove and finish up breakfast. I make our plates and set hers in front of her and I sit down next to her.

"This looks amazing, and it smells good too."

"Thank you, how are you feeling this morning?"
"A little nauseous but I think I will be okay."
"Have you remembered anything else since the hospital?"
"No, and I haven't had any dreams either."
We sit and eat quietly for a few minutes, until I see her look at me and the color drained from her face as she runs to the bathroom and empties her stomach into the nearest toilet. I quickly follow her and kneel next to her and hold her hair back and rub her back. She eventually sits back leaning on the wall. Her face is flushed and sweat beads across her forehead.

"Uggh, I hate that you see me like this. I'm so sorry. You made breakfast for us and I couldn't even keep it down."
"It's okay sweetheart. The little one is giving you fits. I don't take offense to it, and I told you I would be here for you through all of it."
"I think I'm okay now."
I stand up and hold out my hand for her to help her up.

"How about I make some dry toast for you? See if you can hold that down. Then we can go see Mike after that."

"Sounds like a plan to me, thank you."
We walk back into the kitchen and I quickly clean up the island so she doesn't have to smell it and make some toast for her. We sit and talk for a little while letting her stomach settle and then we head out to my trunk to go see Mike. The drive was quiet and I didn't want to pressure her to say anything because I knew she was trying to remember things. Her hand lay across the center console and I placed my hand on hers as I rubbed the back of it with my thumb. Out of the corner of my eye I see her turn and look at our hands and a small smile creeps across her lips as she looked over at me and then looked back out the window She never moved her hand and i was enjoying the warmth of her skin as we finally pulled up to the police station and parked.

"Are you ready?"
"Let's get this over with."
We walk inside and up to the front desk. We stand there for a few seconds waiting for the receptionist to acknowledge us being there. After a few minutes, I cleared my throat to get her attention.

"Can I help you?" She asked, annoyed with us being there.

"We are here to see Officer Mike Cantrell."
"Let me see if he is available. Go have a seat."

"Tell him that Nathan is here to see him. I told him we would be by."
"MMhmmm" she said as she rolled her eyes and went back to find him. After a few minutes he came out with a huge grin on his face. He walked over and stuck out his hand for me to shake. I stood up and took it in my hand.

"Hey man, how have you been? It's been a while. Come on back and we'll get started." We follow him back to his office, and we sit down in the chairs in front of his desk. "So this is the young lady that you told me about?"
"Yes, we call her Lilly."

"You have no idea who you are?" He asks her.

"No, I don't. Nathan found me on the side of the road. I had no id or anything of importance. I was walking in the pouring rain with a broken arm and a concussion as well as many cuts and bruises."

"Oh, you poor girl. They never found anything?"
"No, not at all. Not even a car that I may have wrecked."
"What made you come to me?"
"I recently found out I am pregnant and Nathan said you were good at finding people. I want my baby to know his family if we can."