Chapter Four: Fate

"How long does it take for the sickness to spread?" His thumb traces across the bite, suddenly he seemed confident he wouldn't get the infection.

"Hours, days, I'm not sure. If I were to guess, about now I should have mutations." Leon quickly grabs my other arm, scanning over my skin. His eyes tracing any skin that's exposed.

"Nothing mutated yet." He meets his eyes with mine, a slight glimmer of faith. Faith that I needed, for a rookie cop, he was sure made for it. "Your eyes are still E/C.....no mutation has effected the color."

"Leon....can we find any sort of armory or--um locker room?" His silence, his expression confused from the sudden pivot of topic. "I want a gun, in case if I....if I turn." 

"What're you trying to say?" His hands release from me, my lips form into a fine line. 

"If I feel myself starting to turn, I want the barrel of the gun to be in my mouth." I state, no sugar coat, I can't be afraid to tell him bluntly.

"Whoa--What--?" Leon's expression grows angry, instead of my answer, he wants something full of life and hope.

"I don't want you to put the barrel between my eyes, okay!?" My voice increases, quickly I scan where Marvin was. "Morally, I can not die from your hand." I allow my voice to lower, to let this conversation remain calm.

"Okay." He whispers.

"Okay?" I ask, looking for a more certain validation.

"Okay, Y/N." He says calmly, patting my shoulder gently.

The echo travels, as I take another look at the computer, our goal was getting to the main stairway. I turn my head, seeing a gate we have glossed over before. Instead of it being a full-closed off gate, it was like the ones you would see at the mall. Leon quickly takes my pocket knife, seeing the lever beside it. Gently my fingers touch the cold poles, nothing was screaming danger at me, at least not yet.

As the duct tape on the lever cuts like butter, Leon swings it open, pulling it down. My hands jump back as the gate slowly rise up.

"This is not how I imagined my first day." He mutters, standing beside me.

"Sorry." I state, the guilt growing more, feeling the sadness of the loss.

"Isn't your fault." He smiles, as he leads the way.

Leon paves the way, my fear as my shadow as I follow behind. Any infected he sees, his hand doesn't hesitate to eliminate. In a humorous way, I felt like a celebrity, with a personal body guard. All I can think about is survival, but I've already been bitten, if I do become a cannibal, would have all this ben worth it? Should I even try? My final moments being stressed and terrified, is this the right choice at all?

The blood pool below my foot, creates a thick but slippery environment. All friction of the bottom of my shoe lost, at the worst time, I slip. My mouth let's out a little yelp, consciously the voice being low due to our current location. Hearing the squeak of my shoe give away where were at, I ground myself, making my arm sturdy against the wall. With closed lips, I groan, from the stimming pain of my body.

 A strong grip helping me stay still, my eyes lower seeing Leon's arm wrapped around my lower torso. I follow along his arm, seeing his eyes, his expression clear. Concern. Not the type you would romanticize, but genuine concern. His mouth opens, my next action cuts off what he was about to say. Disgusted with the unknown texture, my head turns, Leon follows shinning the light he has with his other hand. It was blood. I remove my hand, seeing the blood painted hand on the door. The glass reflecting off of the new exposed clean surface.

"West Office." I whisper. 

Quickly I wipe the blood on my pants, and push the heavy door open. Silence heightens my nerves, a cop jumps up, his arms extended. Leon shoots, perfectly landing one in his head, his limp body falling back into the chair behind him. Along his belt, I spot a gun, as my eyebrows raise, I charge for it, until Leon beats me to it.

"Leon." I sternly state. "Don't do this okay?" He takes the pistol, unloading, seeing what's left, but quickly pushing the clip back in. "Please." He slowly turns around, unspoken tension running through vibrations of the room.

He turns the gun around, and extend his arm to me, offering it.

"I respect your decision, but only shoot when you see mutations or any kind of deformity." Gently I take it, a sigh of relief escapes his nose. 

"Yes, Officer." I jokingly mutter, his eyes widen a bit as he clears his throat, turning around. Almost like he was flustered from the title. "What? Did I say it wrong?" my voice raises a bit. "Yes, Officer Leon...?"

"Rookie." He states urgently. "Still a rookie." A smirk appears from his lips, I could be wrong but I saw a bit of flush in his face.