Chapter Sixteen: Quality Time

Copying the graph shown, turning the dial made it an easier task than what was shown. Holding up the Modulator, and staring at the graphs, an awkward silence fills the room. Sighing, I start turning the dial again, my annoyance returning for adjusting stupid technology. Leon stepping beside me, he just patiently watches my every move, almost wanting to attempt but afraid of making a mistake.

"You're smart, Y/N." Looking up, he nods, proud of the weak compliment. "Did that sound sarcastic, cause I didn't mean---"

"Leon you're fine, I understood what you meant." My head lowers, as a static starts to come into the station. "I would hope so, I've been doing alright so far." Holding up the signal modulator, I place it, seeing it download something on the screen.

"What was your GPA?" He asks, as I put my hands on my hip.

"Where did this come from?" Holding back a smile, I lightly chuckle.

"Trying to make conversation." The light goes green, grabbing it, the technology dethatches itself from the machine. "Gonna tell me?" We walk over to the hall again.

"Maybe...it's a topic we could save for our drink later." He hides a laugh inside his mouth, as we step over the corpse.

"What time should I pick you up?" Tilting my head, I pretend to think, looking around for an answer.

"Don't know, I would like to take a shower first? Maybe treat my injuries?" He holds up his wrist the door sliding across.

"Good idea." Stepping through, it was another lab, although this one was different, it seemed like this is where the data was processed.

A woman scientist body sits against the wall, the computer across from her still on. The woman stands, Leon aiming at her, to reveal a disformed face. Quickly shooting her down, I take a seat, going through the emails open.

'Welcome back Dr. Li.'

Skimming through nothing important stands out, it's all basic information about some patients. Feeling a chill, my body shivers, a cold fog entering the lab we were in, catches our eyes. Placing my hand on the back of the chair I stand, the room's window was blurry from the temperature. 

"Who left the freezer open?" Walking over to Leon, my mind pieces together the problem.

"The second half of the herbicide must be in there." The door to the room had been ajar, like someone was previously here. "Makes sense, herbicide shouldn't have been easy to get, not in a professional setting at least."

"So, if we put this one in the machine, it could cover the other half of the plant?" I nod, Leon's fingers grazing the edge of the door. "Scientists always have to make things hard, don't they."

The door fully opens, a huge gust of cold wind hitting our bodies. At first it felt refreshing, after seconds pass it seemed better being hot and sweaty. For some heat I rub my arms, bodies are chilled and frozen on the ground, making it easier. Kneeling down, I press the barrel of my gun against the body laying. I shoot, seeing it twitch as it dies, my breath blocks my vision, the fog flowing out my face. 

Leon copies my tactic, relieved that he could kill these monsters without breaking a sweat. The temperature makes a thin layer of ice below us, our feet moving leisurely than what we're used to. Finding the only working machine, my hands start to play around with it, only one tube inside. A small crane ascends the tube, the liquid not cooled down. 

'Whoa!" Leon hands fly, as his feet slips. I grab onto his chest, stopping him mid-fall. He grabs the machine, helping him survive the almost life-ending incident. 

"Careful there now." Feeling his firm chest, I take my hand away, ignoring the tension created by something innocent. After the kiss, I can't help to feel nervous, my heart skipping beats when we touch. God, he has me wrapped around his finger and he doesn't even know it.