Chapter 18. Tournament

The days leading up to the arrival of the two other wizarding schools was nothing short of complete chaos.

Madeline had done her part in finishing her school work as quickly as possible. Her and Daphne worked double time in order to finish their homework whilst Jolie was kept plenty busy with her prefect duties.

The only times she'd even seen her roommate were at mealtimes, as Jolie had already gone before Madeline had woken and must have dragged herself to bed after she'd fallen asleep.

In the few days that passed, she tried her best to forget their argument all together.

Jolie seemed to agree as neither of them had acknowledged it since.

Her roommate had only spared an eyeroll when Madeline explained she would be spending the night following their squabble in the library with Adrian.

As much as she wanted to rave about her and Fred's second trip to the Astronomy tower, she kept it to herself.

Madeline knew it was petty, and a direct violation of their 'no-secrets' agreement.

But it felt well deserved to hold onto this secret just a little longer.

For now, the tower remained between her and Fred alone. Though Madeline banished the thought of it being their secret.

There was no them. Just two individuals who shared enough of their lives to be considered friends—nothing more.

Now that her and Jolie were on good terms again, it wouldn't be ruined so quickly with a white lie she told.

If her roommate backed her into another corner, it could be an excellent diversion tactic.

So Madeline would save the news for another occasion.

The morning of the school's arrival, the Great Hall was packed with the entire student body, all buzzing and spritely.

Save for Hogwarts prefects and professors, who she watched yawn and reach for extra mugs of tea and coffee.

From said staff table, Madeline noticed the dark circles that hung under her father's eyes, his exhaustion clear as day.

Outside of lesson, her father's whereabouts in recent days were a mystery. He hadn't even been in his office when she had paid him a visit. Earlier that week, she found his study empty and surprisingly unlocked.

She could hardly hear her friends at the Slytherin table until Theo shouted.

"IT'S PACKED!" he yelled, earning a sour glare from Pansy beside him.

"You're in a good mood this morning," Jolie called to her sweetly.

Pansy sniffed, finishing her assault on her mangled plate of black pudding. "I am actually in a terrible mood, if I'm honest."

Madeline did her best to disguise her laugh with a cough.

Jolie blinked. "I see that, Pans. I was being sarcas—"

"And if you're wondering why," Pansy continued, "you can ask him."

She pointed the end of her knife at Draco seated on Theo's right—poor Theo stuck between them.

"Fucking hell, Parkinson," Theo spat, pushing her hand and knife away that hovered over his plate. "Watch where you point that bloody thing."

"What did I do?" Draco huffed.

Here we go again.

Pansy whipped her head over at him, slamming the blunt ends of her cutlery on the table. Madeline, Daphne, and Jolie each froze.