Chapter 37. Opportunity

Madeline blinked a few times over, allowing Jolie's question to loom in the air of their dorm.

On Christmas holiday, Madeline would be in Islington. Likely curled up on Ms Whtiby's sofa, watching the newest rendition of Dickens' Christmas Carol with a warm mug of apple cider. She would be at home, with family, as she assumed everyone else would be.

"You already know what I'm doing," Daphne answered first. "I'll probably be over at your place most of the holiday, anyway. Mum and Dad will just want me home for Christmas."

Madeline spotted the grin slowly widening across Jolie's face.

"How upset would they be if you had other plans for Christmas?"

"Well... If I'll be with you..." Daphne began replying, "and we have a good enough reason to miss it, I'm sure we can work something out."

Jolie sent her a wink, and then settled to meet Madeline's stare, expecting an answer from her now.

"I, erm... I'll be spending it with my family," Madeline offered. "Specifically Christmas Eve, and Christmas, then Boxing Day—"

"Tell your father you'll need to take a rain cheque," Jolie cut in. "We'll be busy on those days."

Madeline felt herself flinch at the mere mention of her father in front of Daphne, though Jolie looked to catch the silent pleading, and in a millisecond looked to agree not to press it further.

For as quick as the interaction was, Madeline was still grateful it had gone unnoticed. It wasn't as though she could dwell on the thought much longer.

The more important question, how on earth could she give her father a 'rain cheque'?

"I can't just... do that," Madeline said slowly. "Why would I be busy on those days, anyway?"

"Yeah," Daphne cooed, leaning forwards. "What've we got planned?"

Jolie pursed her lips. "Do either of you know what a yacht is?"

Madeline felt her eyes go wide.

She must be hearing things.

"A yacht? You want us to spend Christmas on a yacht? "

"Oh, I can't wait! " Daphne gasped, hopping up and clasping her hands together. "What is it? It sounds fun!"

"It's a boat—a huge boat, apparently," Jolie explained. "Cassius Warrington invited us, and we'll be on the water for two weeks!"

Daphne shrieked.

"How are we supposed to just drop everything to do this?" Madeline asked, apparently the only rational one in this conversation. "Two weeks? That's practically the entire holiday."

"But it'll be exactly that," Jolie explained, "a holiday ."

"This is so exciting!" Daphne laughed.

Madeline shook her head.

"Look," Jolie sighed, "just consider it. Please? It'll be so fun, and we'll all be together!"

"That's not enough," Madeline muttered. "I need details."

She needed a damn miracle. Or, perhaps, a different father. Maybe even another dimension she could waltz into.

"Fine," Jolie replied. "Come with me now to Pucey's dorm; Cassius is there and we can all go over the whole itinerary—"

" Adrian is going?"