Chapter 39. Memories

July 1977

Severus approached the obscenely large building, swallowing down the fear that nearly kept his feet firmly planted on the asphalt.

He'd never been to a Muggle establishment. To start with this one felt as harrowing as any mission he'd been on thus far.

In big bold red lettering, the Tesco that stood before him was difficult to miss. Even if he had found himself lost in the streets along the way. But luckily, it had only taken half an hour, a charmed compass, and only a handful of Confundus Charms.

He tried his hardest to take little notice of the staring Muggles as he approached the glass double doors, though he did meet the occasional wandering eye or pointing child.

Children. If all of them miraculously vanished now, it would not be soon enough. Though as long as they didn't speak, they were easy enough to ignore.

Severus couldn't for the life of him understand why his peers had shortly begun producing their young spawn so closely following graduation. And on purpose, nonetheless.

He would be doing no such thing.

The interior of the glass building was starkly cold, making him thankful for indeed choosing to keep on his long cloak.

He chose not to take one of the rickety-looking trolleys. He would not be here long.

All he needed to do was spot the woman from the pictures in her flat.

One look and he could leave—just to witness her beauty in person, swift and simple.

Swift, simple, and irreparable in the eyes of his Dark Lord. If she would have been in her flat to begin with, she would have been dead by now. But by the graces of the universe, Severus was gifted an opportunity. A chance to just see her once.

Once he did, he could falsely report on her execution, a report that would spare her in the long run.

He was doing the beautiful woman a favour.

He weaved through the lined produce, increasingly more confused as he went on. Muggles put circles with numbers on everything.

Just as he was about to abandon the mission, Severus rounded a corner and nearly tripped over his own feet.

There she was.

Her hair effortlessly curled in thick ringlets down the back of her white blouse, the sleeves folded up to her elbows, revealing her enchanting skin, tanner than he'd realised from the portraits in her home.

The midst of summer was glorious on her—breathtaking.

Her floor length floral-patterned skirt whisked just above the ground, each slow step of hers propelled with the appearance of a red sandal.

Even more stunning than in her photos.

And just as he had hoped, she was shopping alone.

He could only blink at her as she halted her trolley, seeming entranced with the bin of oranges before her.

It couldn't hurt if he just—

Before Severus even knew what he was doing, he picked up the thing closest to him and approached her.

"Excuse me," he breathed, holding out the object. "Do you happen to know if this is any good?"

The woman met his gaze for the first time, and he tried not to collapse under the weight of her brown eyes and gentle lift of her mouth. A smile.