Chapter 5

It was the next morning. Fletch had always been a morning person but she never got up this early. She had a lot on her mind. Usually when she stayed at the cabin it was to clear her head and relax but she was far from relaxed.

The woman she loved was right on the other side of that door. What she did to Wesley was unforgivable. She couldn't begin to imagine how she must have felt. Fletch didn't feel the pain of the situation until days after when she was finally sober. She realized then she needed to get her shit together. She got sober and started making changes to her life. She became a highly successful businesswoman and now owns most of the small town she lived it.

She made a pot of coffee and went to sit on the back porch. It was still raining but the back porch was big and covered so it wasn't a problem. She had already checked, and the driveway was flooded – no one could get in or out. She felt a sense of relief because of it, and she didn't know why. The second she saw Wesley at the gas station yesterday she felt like she couldn't breathe. And when she showed up here last night after texting her Fletch finally caught her breathe.

The back door opened, and Wesley stepped out. "Good morning," Wes said. "What are you doing up so early?"

"I could ask you the same thing." Fletch responded.

"I smelled the coffee, I'm a light sleeper."

"I remember that. I'm sorry I woke you."

"It's okay, I needed to get up to see if the driveway was flooded."

"It is. I went and checked a bit ago. Looks like we are stuck here." Fletch wasn't upset or pleased about it. She hadn't processed her feelings yet. She didn't know how to feel but she knew one thing. She wanted another chance. She wanted her.

"Guess so. I need a shower. By any chance are my old clothes I left still here?" When Wesley left, she left everything that she had at the cabin there. She didn't want the reminders that came with it all.

"They are still in your dresser. I haven't moved anything in there other than when I had the floor redone. I put the furniture back where it was though."

"Is it okay if I go in there and use the shower in there too? It is bigger." Wesley wanted to ask because it was Fletch's room. She obviously spent a lot of time there so she felt it would invade her privacy if she didn't ask.

"Of course, you know the way. There is an unopened toothbrush in the cabinet as well."

Wesley made her way to the master bedroom. She found her dresser as it was the day she left. She went through the drawers and found what she needed. She raised them up to her nose. They smelled like Fletch. They were Wes' clothes but the scent on them reminded her of her ex-lover. She almost melted right then and there.

Wesley hurried into the bathroom without looking around the room. She didn't think she could handle it. Once she reached the bathroom, she found the toothbrush and then showered. Once she was finished, she got dressed and towel dried her hair. She looked in the mirror. How was she going to be able to get through these next few days? The tension between her and Fletch was growing already. She should talk to Fletch, they needed to get their feelings out on the table.

Wesley opened the door and almost ran into Fletch.

"Geez, you scared me."

"I didn't mean to, I'm sorry." Fletch said.

"It's okay. Did you need something?"

The two locked eyes for what Felt like hours. They were so close they were almost touching. Fletch saw something familiar in Wesley's eyes. 

Fletch handed Wesley her phone without breaking their stare. "You got a bunch of phone calls. I thought something might be wrong."

Her grandparents! She hurriedly grabbed her phone thanking Fletch in the process.

She caught the next call on the first ring.

"Hello?" She answered,

"You okay Blondie? I should have told you about the rain, you know it floods with a sprinkle 'round here." Her grandfather said.

"We were worried about you," He continued, "are you okay?"

"Yes," she said, "I came to check on the cabin last night and went to leave and had two flats. Then the rain caught me."

"I bet them roofers left nails layin' around." He spoke.

"How did you know there were roofers?" Wesley asked with confusion.

"Well, Fletch told me of course. She always asks before she does something in that cabin. I don't know why, its not mine!" Her grandfather replied with a laugh.

"Oh." Wesley said looking over at Fletch who was making another cup of coffee then walked out the back door.

Why did Fletch ask her grandfather to do stuff with the cabin? Do they talk often? Should she ask her grandfather or Fletch first?

She would more likely get the truth out of her grandfather rather than Fletch. She stepped out onto the back porch.

"Do you guys keep in touch?" She cautiously asked her grandfather.

"Oh yeah! She comes for coffee on the porch on Sundays and always checks in on us. She helps us pack in our groceries too." His reply was full of light like it was nothing.

"Well, isn't that nice!" Wesley said.

Why have they not mentioned her presence in their life before? Is this only recent? There were too many questions unanswered, and she had a week to get them answered then she can move on with her life.

"I am glad you're okay sis," He said, "Call us if you need anything, I'm sure that road is bad so stay safe."

"Thanks pops," Wesley said with a smile, "Looks like I'll be stuck here until the rain gives up. Love you guys."

She hung up the phone and let out a big sigh. She needed answers now. She went to find Fletch.