Chapter 27

TW in the description
No art for this Chapter

Alberto POV

Alberto blinked several times, his eyes blurry with sleep. A pleasant twittering from outside woke him. He turned to see they'd left the back door open, the curtain gliding in on a warm spring breeze.

He found his arm extended, lying on Luca's chest. It rose and fell with his breath. Luca faced him, his eyes closed and mouth slightly parted.

Alberto smiled, taking the opportunity to memorize every detail. He memorized the way Luca's hair fell while asleep, partially covering one eye. He memorized the heart-shaped dip of his upper lip. He memorized the way the morning light fell on his cheekbones.

He inched the tether between them open, letting more of his light pass through.

"Thank you. Thank you for walking into my life and bringing color into my world, which was so dark and grey before."

Luca didn't wake as the words passed into his mind, but there was the slightest tilt of his mouth. An unconscious emotion and Alberto knew he'd heard it; somewhere in his dreams.

Alberto only had a few more quiet minutes to count Luca's breaths before the pleasant twittering outside turned into a commotion, and the Sireno stirred.

He blinked a few times, eyes adjusting to the light.

"Morning, Beto," Luca said, scooting closer.

Alberto pulled Luca closer to his chest.

"How're you feeling, love?" He asked right away.

Luca took a moment to wake and feel his body.

"A... bit sore." He admitted.

"I'm sorry," Alberto said guiltily, "I'll take it easy from now on."

Luca suddenly sat up, face set.

"You better not. This is our honeymoon. I want you to give me everything you've got."

Alberto smirked.

"There is no stopping you, is there?"

Luca shook his head stubbornly.

"You're mine. And I'm yours. And we are married. I don't want us to hold back for a second."

"You're crazy," Alberto said, stealing a quick kiss.

"Learned it from you," Luca replied with a wink.

~.~.~.~

Luca POV

They ate a light breakfast, watching the tiny birds flit from one branch to another. The day was warm, with a subtle breeze dusting the land. Too perfect a day to spend inside.

"Wanna go out?" Alberto asked as though reading Luca's mind.

Luca did. But it was more than that. He'd spent months suffering the cold winter alone. Well,... not alone, which was worse. He spent weeks dreading the day ahead and what shameful feelings it would bring. He stopped wanting to wake up. Stopped wanting to breathe and just let himself fall into despair.

But that was all behind him.

Now, he wanted more out of life. He opened his eyes in the morning to find his mate already smiling at him. That alone gave him strength that could flatten mountains. He was here; he was alive, and now.... He was restless.

"Let's do some exploring today, see what we can find," Luca suggested finishing the final piece of his watermelon and starting on the dishes.

"I'll look for a bag or something in the garage; we can pack some food and go on a long hike," Alberto said, standing and walking to the other end of their vacation home.