A Love Letter Across the Distance

Wednesday found herself sitting in the Addams mansion, her hand hovering hesitantly over the curtains. It wasn't that she enjoyed the sunlight; in fact, she usually loathed it. But something about the sun's warm rays reminded her so much of Enid, her golden retriever energy, and the way she had reentered Wednesday's life only to be torn away again.

With a heavy heart, she glanced at her phone, remembering the countless FaceTime calls she shared with Enid during the summer. Now, just the thought of tapping on Enid's name sent tremors through her fingers.

Wednesday never wanted to be the type of person who constantly thought about someone without the intent to end their life. But there she was, staring at Enid's name on her phone, longing for the confidence and ease she possessed in her younger years. As a child, she had always believed she was different, an outsider even among other outsiders. It wasn't until she attended a school for outcasts that she realized she was truly unique - a singular presence in a sea of misfits.

In her melancholy, Wednesday noticed Thing dragging a typewriter across the floor. She shook her head, declining the offer, but then reconsidered. Placing the typewriter on her desk, she blew off the dust, her mind filled with thoughts of Enid.

Wednesday didn't know how to continue her story without Enid by her side, the muse who inspired her previous work. However, she could write about the girl who had captured her heart. The clicks of the typewriter keys echoed throughout the mansion as Wednesday poured her heart onto the page. Her brother Pugsley, too, was in his room, shedding tears for the one he loved and lost.

Gomez and Morticia hadn't seen their children since they had arrived at the school, and both siblings were unhappy. They knew their parents had made the right decision, but the pain of leaving someone behind was unbearable.

E. N. I. D - these were the first letters Wednesday typed, and the rest flowed effortlessly. She had written a letter once before, but this time, it was more like a short story in length. The last time her writing had fallen into Enid's hands, they hadn't spoken for months. This time, she vowed, things would be different.

Her phone vibrated, and she saw Enid's face light up the screen. Heart pounding, she stopped typing and answered the FaceTime call.

"Hey," Enid said.

"Hey, Enid," Wednesday replied, her somber tone betraying her happiness.

"You seem more excited than usual," Enid teased. "Did you meet a girl on your drive back and decide to get married?"

"No, I wasn't excited," Wednesday said defensively.

"Sure," Enid replied, smirking.

"What can I help you with?" Wednesday asked, feeling embarrassed.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to bother you," Enid said, sensing that Wednesday might not want to talk to her.

"I'm sorry," Wednesday apologized.

"It's okay," Enid reassured her.

"No, it's not," Wednesday insisted. "I just don't know how to talk to you."

"What do you mean?"

"We haven't talked in months. I don't know what I can and cannot say. I try to speak, but the words don't come out the way I want. Can I read you something I wrote?"

Enid nodded, her eyes locked on Wednesday, who had been hesitant to share her writing but felt that if she didn't say it now, she might never mend the rift between them.

"As I sit here and I think about you, the ink typed itself onto the page poised to dance upon the paper, I find myself at a loss for words. How does one express the torrent of emotions that have taken up residence in their heart? How does one convey the depth of their feelings when the language feels like a mere shadow of the truth? I shall endeavor, nonetheless, to pour my soul onto this page in the hopes that you may glimpse the love that has blossomed within me.