C H A P T E R : 2 0

•••••••

•••••••

‎‧₊˚✧ AUTHOR's POV ✧˚₊‧

The echo of footsteps behind her intensified, each thud like a sinister heartbeat pulsing in the shadows. Panic clawed at her chest, her lungs burned with ragged breaths, and trembling hands betrayed her inner turmoil. Terror gnawed at her thoughts, yet she repeated the mantra incessantly, "Just keep moving... it's just a drunken man..." as she fled from the suffocating darkness of the alley.

For over a year, the suffocating dread of being hunted had slithered through her mind, refusing to fade, and now it felt like a living, breathing entity, lurking just behind her. Her heart thundered—a wild animal desperate to escape, unsure if the cloaked figure tailing her was the haunting shadow that had stalked her for so long or merely another lost soul donned in black. Doubt twisted in her gut as she stole glances over her shoulder, but with a surge of adrenaline, she pushed forward, the grim realities of the night narrowing down to just one thought: run, or become part of the lurking darkness.

As soon as she emerged from the shadowy alley, a shudder of relief washed over her. She pressed her trembling hand against her chest, trying to steady her racing heart. Regret gnawed at her like a feral beast; never had she wished to undo a decision more than this reckless shortcut she'd taken to join her friends at the club to celebrate her birthday. How foolish to wear that daring dress that clung to her thighs, tempting fate. She had only wanted to slip past the watchful eyes of the guards her father had stationed around her—like sentinels, ever vigilant—and now here she was, far from safety.

But as she stole a glance over her shoulder, her relief shattered. No one followed her, yet a bone-chilling scream erupted from her throat as she came face-to-face with a masked figure blocking her path. His voice slithered through the air like a venomous whisper. "This birthday is going to be unforgettable for you, babygirl." A cold dread and thrill enveloped her as she realized this night was about to take a sinister turn.

A strangled cry tore from her throat, her breath catching in her chest as she fought for air, sweat beading on her skin. Jungkook, jolted awake beside her, fumbled for the light switch, the room flooded with sudden brilliance. His eyes landed on her trembling figure, huddled on the bed. Without a word, he reached for her, his arms wrapping around her, pulling her close to his warm embrace. "Shh," he whispered, his voice a soothing balm. "It's alright. Just breathe with me," he murmured, his hand gently stroking her back as she wept.

The piercing memory of her 18th birthday shattered her composure, fragments of forgotten pain surfacing like shards of glass. She clung to Jungkook, trembling, her body wracked with the shock of it all. He drew her close, his embrace a comforting shield. "Shh... it was just a bad dream," he murmured, his voice a soothing balm on her raw emotions. "I'm here to protect you, tesoro." He gently lifted her onto his lap, her head finding solace against his chest. His hand, a beacon of comfort, rested on her hair, gently stroking away the remnants of fear.