Chapter Thirteen

He couldn't sleep, too hungry, in too much pain, and too worried. He watched Alice toss and turn in her little cot, feeling cold without her sleeping in his arms, barely able to stand being a few feet away from her. He watched her with longing, zoning out, not watching the survivors, only interrupted when one of them placed food in front of him.

"Here, it's canned meat, but it's all we've got that we think you could eat." Bill said gruffly, "After you eat, you can hold the little one. But you look like you're about to murder someone. So eat." He looked down to see some.. little round but long things. "They're canned sausages. Eat, before it they get cold, we cooked them for you." He gently poked at it, picking one up and sniffing it. It didn't smell great. He scrunched his nose, and dropped it because it made him sneeze. He shakes his head violently, sneezing again. He softly clutches his leg and picks it up again, ignoring the old man laughing at him. "Like a cat almost." He heard Bill say. He bit the small sausage, it wasn't horrid, but it was not good. He continued eating it slowly as Bill sat next to him. He held one out to Bill, who shakes his head no, "No thanks, I ate already. One would think you'd be eating it faster, but I get it, those things aren't good." The Hunter looked around, noting pretty much nobody else was awake. 

The two sat in silence while the Hunter ate, once he was done he just leaned back and started scratching at his skin, and rubbing his eyes. He looked over to Bill, who put out his cigarette. The Hunter grabbed and dug through his bag, wanting to show something to Bill, he pulled out the shoes he'd grabbed. Alice normally wears Velcro shoes she can do up herself, so he grabbed one pair of those, but the other had laces. He set them down for Bill and watched, scratching at his eye. 

"Hey, what are you doing? Stop that." Bill said, grabbing and pulling the Hunter's hand away from his eye and sighing, putting a small bandage onto the bleeding scratch marks. "Dumbass what do you think you're doing? This why your arms are so messed up? Jesus shit." He shakes his head, putting some spare bandages onto the Hunter's arms, to keep him from scratching at them too. "There, now leave that skin to heal would you?" He huffs and turns his attention to the shoes.

"So? These for her?" He nodded. "Well shit, let me guess, you don't know how to tie 'em." Another nod. "Well, let me show you, but be careful, those claws could cut them open. We can also teach her tomorrow when she wakes up." Bill said as he picked up the shoes, spending the next half hour teaching the Hunter how to tie them, and letting him tie them. He had the hang of it, but was very slow at it. "Now there is another way to do it, but that uses one bunny loop, and I don't think with your claws you'd be able to do it, so I'll make sure Alice, that's her name right?" Nod, "Alrigh', I will make sure she knows to tie her shoes this way so you can help her when she needs it. Now let me help you to her so you can sleep." 

He stands, holding his hand out for the Hunter, who took it as gently as he could. He places his other hand on the wall, trying to put his weight on that instead, trying not to react with his hands to the pain of his leg. When Bill moved and put the Hunter's arm over his shoulder, and helped him to walk without putting weight on his hurt leg, he let out a deep breath, scratching his eye again, "Stop that, you'll hurt yourself." He tried rubbing it instead. Bill helped him sit down next to Alice, watching the Hunter pick up and curl up with Alice, protecting her, he left to lay down himself, knowing she's in good hands.