.iii.

~

three

~

When she woke up, she was inside the coach, saints know how far from her beloved bow. A red and grey kefta was draped over her shoulders. Two heartrenders sat in front of her, one was the man who had ordered the riflemen to knock her out - Ivan, the other was a jovial looking heartrender.

Nerezza glared at them both.

"I'm Fedyor," the new one said, "Pleased to meet you."

"If you left me back at the fold, no one would look twice at us," Nerezza stated, "I can get through myself and make my way back to Novokribirsk."

Fedyor eyed her for a moment, "Why is that? You summon pure shadows, your kind of Etherealki has been thought to belong to none but the Black Heretic and General Kirigan. Until now. You're a very special girl, so how had no one looked twice at you before?"

Nerezza almost sneered, anger flared in her eyes – she wasn't sure if he was hitting on her or tyring to be nice, "Are you joking? Maybe it's nicer inside the walls of the Little Palace, but out here, when you're different, when you look different, everything's at risk of becoming a fight for your life," Nerezza hissed.

And she was right.

She stuck out like a sore thumb.

Her coppery skin, raven hair and black eyes were stark tellers that she was Suli. And differences were targets.

"And then you become like me," Nerezza continued, "You join gangs, and you fight to survive, and you do anything to destroy those who stand in your way. And then people are scared of you, and they hate you – and even then, nothing changes because no matter what you'll always be different."

"Do you know why the little palace has walls in the first place?" Ivan asked, "Because for years being Grisha was a death sentence. At least now, thanks to General Kirigan we're protected. Feared. That's how we survive – that's how you survived, not by being overlooked, but by making them look, and knowing you're powerful." He paused for a moment, "But inside the walls of the little palace, there are no gangs, no difference. You don't have to fight to survive anymore."

"I've survived long enough without your protection, thank you," Nerezza hissed, "Why do you think all of Ketterdam, and now West Ravka fears me?"

"But you wouldn't last a minute now that you are you," Fedyor stated.

Nerezza laughed darkly, "I've killed more people than you've met in your life, I think I'll be fine."

Moments later, the carriage slowed to a stop.

"The road is blocked, beware!" a voice called from outside.

Nerezza clenched her jaw – her and her big mouth.

"Stay here and don't leave," Ivan hissed, beckoning Fedyor and leaving the carriage.

Fedyor sent her a smile, "He means well," and then he was gone.

Frantic, Nerezza searched her person for a weapon of any kind – but there was none. Her bow and knife were back in Kribirsk. A foul swear word almost left her lips when the whistle and thunks of arrows were heard from outside.