.xiii.

~

thirteen

~

"He's going to try and kill me."

"No, he isn't."

"He's done it before."

Aleksander looked up from the maps and plans on his table and turned to Nerezza, "What?"

Nerezza smirked, "I was a gang mercenary in both Ketterdam and Novokribirsk. Those few months I spent in West Ravka literally destroyed that man's sanity – of course he'd want me dead." She shrugged and let her fingers trace over the little Ketterdam on the map. "But I don't care what the First Army General thinks. I-" she trailed off for a moment, unsure.

He observed her and walked towards her, placing his hand over hers, "What, Nerezza?"

She met his eyes, "I have one condition."

"And that is?" he inquired.

"I want the Crows present."

Aleksander stared at her, "They're in Ketterdam."

"They're my family," Nerezza replied, "And I'm ready to let them know who I am now."

He nodded and thought about it for a moment. "You're going to sneak them in anyway, aren't you?"

Nerezza blushed and took something out of her pocket. A letter. She unfolded it and held back a laugh and read: "'If you have any reservations about this, please let me know and you can gladly come back. Either way, we are going to see you whether you like it or not, and I'd prefer not climbing through the plumbing system of the Little Palace in order to get to you.'"

She looked back at him and laughed slightly, "See?"

Aleksander rolled his eyes and let his hand trail up her arm, "Anything for you, Darkling."

Nerezza's breath hitched.

These little scarce moments of pleasure were almost all she had left to look forwards to. They were dotted through her life like little stars in the night sky.

She almost wanted one of those stars to explode through. To release a nebula of power and pleasure.

With him.

If anything, Nerezza always knew she was going to end up precariously flirting with the General. They were the two most powerful Grisha in Ravka – it was almost as if fate was shipping them.

She knew she was falling into his trap too easily, she knew she was putting up no resistance. But she didn't care.

She knew that he was utterly and irrevocably evil.

She knew that she couldn't change him.

So, why bother try?

Why bother trying to resist his advances or change his nature, when she was bound to end up standing beside him anyway? There was no way in which he could be changed – and she knew that. So, she resolved to take him as he was; murderous tendencies and hate filled heart included.

After all, she didn't care for anyone either.

Well, except the Crows.

As long as they were safe – and the Grisha – then she was happy standing alongside him.

Even if they destroyed everyone else.

"You like me too much," Aleksander voiced, regarding her silence.

Nerezza turned around, allowing herself to be sandwiched between Aleksander and the table. "My moral compass is broken."

"I see."

"Shattered, in fact."

He nodded, brushing a strand of hair behind her ear. "Well, I'm not complaining."

Nerezza let her hands trail up his upper body, resting on his shoulders, "Neither am I-"

Knock!

She swore under her breath.

He laughed.

The two of them sprang apart.

"Enter."

The door rattled and then someone entered, it was Ivan.

Nerezza's eyes widened and she saw him disguise a small chuckle.

She grabbed her knife from the table, and turned around, "I'll see you later." And then she rushed to the door, ducked under Ivan's arm, and was gone.

Bloody hell.

She was never going to hear the end of this.