.xxii.

~

twenty-two

~

Giddy from the performance and swearing in, Nerezza left the hall from a side door, escorted by two palace guards.

She quickly made her way down the stairs but was stopped by an annoyingly familiar voice.

"You have earned the pride you now wear."

The Apparat.

Nerezza smiled fakely, and tried to walk on, "Thank you."

"I must say, Starless Saint," he said again. There it was again – that phrase. "You are becoming quite dangerous."

Nerezza turned to him, "I'm sorry?"

"You will become even more dangerous still," the Apparat nodded, "You have no idea how much larger a role you will have to play, do you? How twisted you will become."

"Why?" she inquired.

"Because you are void of all light," he said, "And you will become darker still."

Suddenly, Genya ran up the stairs and grabbed her arm, "Excuse us, but General Kirigan needs Nerezza ready for the dinner."

Before she could go, the Apparat grabbed her arm tightly, with a vice like grip, keeping her in place. She turned back to him.

"Starless, Nerezza Adiram. Remember that," he fixed her down with wild, insane eyes. Before letting go and allowing Genya to drag her down the stairs.

Strange.

...

"I'm genuinely so surprised the three of you didn't blow up Ketterdam whilst I was gone," Nerezza laughed, regarding the Crows.

Kaz rolled his eyes, "Do you know how hard it is to keep Jesper in check without you? It's like trying to stop the sun from setting."

"Hey!" Jesper protested, "I don't need regulating."

Inej grinned, "You should see the amount of debt he got himself into."

Nerezza chuckled, "Gambling?"

Jesper smirked, "You know me too well."

Kaz regarded her for a moment, "When this is over, you should come to visit us."

Nerezza nodded, "Kirigan and I were discussing it. It's likely that someone's going to put an attempt on my life in the near future now, so when that happens, I'm thinking that I may lay low in Ketterdam with you until the assassin is caught."

Inej smirked, "Remind me to attempt to assassinate you."

They laughed.

Nerezza let her gaze stray to Kaz, who was smiling slightly, but still retained his sour demeanour. Out of everyone, she probably missed him the most. Missed the one she met first. Missed the one who was like her brother.

Just them against the world.

How long it had been since then, since they pledged that, since they had to rely on one another.

Nerezza was glad to call him a brother.

In the next moment, she saw Aleksander walk up to her. He pulled a bouquet of black roses from behind his back and handed them to her.