.viii.

~

eight

~

"Let's get on with it. Hands out, palms facing each other," Baghra ordered.

Nerezza did as she was told.

"Darkness," Baghra demanded.

When nothing happened, Baghra slammed her cane into Nerezza's shoulder, "Again."

Ten minutes later, she was walking around the cave, a few ribbons of shadow coating her palms.

Bagrahs cane hit her again.

"I almost had it that time," Nerezza snapped.

"You can't darken a doorway," Baghra snapped, "Again."

More hits, more books, more shouting.

Finally, Nerezza managed to curl a few tendrils of shimmering darkness at the tips of her fingers, wisping around her hand in patterns.

"Not enough," Baghra seethed, "Not nearly enough."

...

"Faster."

"I'm running as fast as I can!" Nerezza sighed, continuing her laps.

"Now jump."

With the impending doom that if she fell, she would be in a lot of pain tomorrow, Nerezza leapt into the air, kicking the spear and flipping sideways, before kicking it again with the tip of her foot.

"Better," Botkin mused.

Nerezza glared, "One inch to the left and I would have hit you."

"And did you miss on purpose – or did you miss from incompetence?" Botkin inquired.

She rolled her eyes, "Same time tomorrow?"

"Tomorrow, I expect you to actually hit me."

...

The burning tea scalded her through as she drank it, but – as ordered – she downed it to the last drop, placing the mug onto the ground. Looking up, she attempted to call the darkness once more.

"I haven't got all day, girl," Baghra snapped.

"You could at least try to be encouraging," Nerezza snapped.

"I'm not your mother," Baghra seethed, "But, then again, I guess you'll always be looking for a new one."

Nerezza stood abruptly, anger rushing through her veins like liquid fire as she glared at Baghra.

Suddenly, a wave of weakness washed over her, following by a bout of dizziness.

"What-?"

"That tea should be taking effect," Baghra mused.

The cave morphed into something else.

Nerezza looked around in surprise, adjusting to the familiar scene.

A younger version of her was sitting in the crow club, almost two years ago, a bow and quiver strapped to her back, clasping her cloak around her.

"Listen, all we need is the money, you run in there, grab it and go," Kaz stated.