.xxiii.

~

twenty three

~

When Nerezza awoke, a few hours later, Aleksander was beside her.

He smiled at her, brushing a curl behind her ear, "Sleep well."

She returned the smile and nodded. "Is the party still going on?"

Aleksander's smile fell, "Unfortunately yes – meaning I have to get up and deal with official business, which is now happening – " he checked the clock on his bedside table " – two hours late because I was trapped in a very important 'meeting'."

"Oh really?" Nerezza mused.

He chuckled and leaned down, cupping her face in his hand and kissing her, gently but firmly.

Nerezza savoured the feeling of his lips, tried to engrave it deep within her memory – lest she forget.

One moment of wonderful peace, and then they were rushing to get dressed again.

Surprisingly, ten minutes later – Aleksander was rushing out the door looking exactly like he was a few hours ago, except for a new spring in his step.

Nerezza leaned against a table, watching him go rather sadly.

And then he doubled back, ran to her and smashed his lips to hers roughly, groaning into the kiss.

Nerezza melted into his arms.

And then once again, her skin was cold, devoid of life, her lips left with the ghost of his lingering upon her own.

She was alone, in the dark room, the flickering glow of the candles dancing in the wisps of shadows.

And then the wall swung open to reveal a hidden door.

In half a second, a deadly ribbon of shadows was floating by Nerezza's hand, ready to defend, to kill.

Baghra was standing at the secret doorway.

"Come with me," she demanded.

Nerezza's eyes widened.

She definitely needed to tell Aleksander about that door.

"Baghra! What are you-" Nerezza started.

"Stupid girl," Baghra snapped, grabbing her arm and pulling her towards the doorway, "No time to dawdle." When Nerezza began to protest she hissed, "You need to leave this place."

Nerezza's eyes flashed to the clock on Aleksander's bedside table, "I'm leaving anyway in less than two hours."

"You need to shut the hell up and come with me," Baghra demanded, she pushed Nerezza into the doorway, "Now."

Deciding that this was serious, and she'd rather find out about what looked like a dangerous or deadly situation before it killed her, Nerezza followed Baghra.

Baghra pulled a lever and the doorway closed, "I'm trying to save your from living the rest of your life as a slave."

"I think I'll be fine," Nerezza protested but Baghra slapped her arm and grabbed her wrist, continuing to pull her through a dark, stone passageway.