CHAPTER 6

Donovan Phoebe

There was a tap on my shoulder as my warriors and I escorted the new arrival. I turned to see see Fredrick staring at the back of the boys head.

"How do we feel about this, alpha?" He met my gaze then. His brown eyes were swimming with worry. He and I paused, we were already close to the pack cellar and so the other two paused too, bringing the boy to a stop as well.

"Suspicious mostly." I sighed then and shock my head. "For now, that still isn't much. He hasn't really given up anything concrete." I give a small smile and he nods.

"Think Arson could get more detail out of him?" Fredrick's face broke into a smirk and I chuckled knowing that my third, Arson was rather gifted in the art of interrogation. His need to knowing everything probably being his driving force.

I shoulder bumped Fredrick and he chuckled back. The warrior and I had gotten rather close over the last few months, mostly due to his love for my best friend, his current fiance. The two were engaged and once they had officially announced that, Frederick had not wasted a moment and threw himself headfirst into caring for the pack the same way Winston does as he would soon be the Beta along side him due to their union.

We began walking again when we heard the growling. We paused, looking up, the sound of paws in the ground thruming through us had me furrowing my brows just as a large wolf emerged. It growled and snarled, everyone stepped back while I narrowed my eyes on the Beta.

Winston in his wolf form then tackled the wolf we found on the border.

"Winston!" Fredrick yelled, as though ready to scold the other man when he, himself froze and so did we all, to stare as Winston sniffed and licked at the boy who was determined to die.

"Get off!" The boy yelled, struggling under the weight of Winston. We heard it then, before anyone could intervene, Winston's voice carried through all out minds.

~Mate!

My body filled with cold, my heart warmed for him, a part of me joyful for my best friend, who, unlike me had genuinely accepted that this was impossible, that he would never find his mate, that he was ready to settle down with Frederick.

Frederick. I thought and turned to the man, his mouth gapped and it was as though he had a short circuit, his neck twitched and then his hands balled into fists. Winston managed to get off of the rogue as the rogue shifted and bit at his shoulder. Frederick turned then, I heard the skip of his heart before he himself shifted and ran off.

"Frederick!" I called for him feeling genuine concern. To have to watch the man you learned to love over two years, watching the man who just that morning had been going through their suit for the wedding with you, easily forget you to gush and look only at their mate, their true mate, the feeling was one even I couldn't fathom.

"No!" I turned back to the scene, Fredrick's voice void in my own mind as I reached for him. I linked Adam and Jaz so they would go look for him and hopefully calm him down and make sure he was alright. "No!!" The boy was crying now, staring at Winston who whined on his belly trying to look smaller and non- threatening.

Winston shifted then, his large naked built towering over the boy despite being crouched down. "Mate." Winston said to the boy.