CHAPTER 8

Donovan Phoebe

He was beautiful in every way and seeing him up close, he was just perfect. His heart was beating fast and so I tried not to move as I stared down into wide, brightly blue eyes that seemed to shine, I realised there were flecks of silver in the blue, swimming around and actively moving. I wanted to get closer and inspect.

"Hey," I said as his eyes travelled over me and I wondered what he was thinking, if he was alright and happy because I was happy. "Are you okay?" I whispered knowing that there was so much more I wanted to say. I wanted to hear him speak, know his name. It felt like forever waiting for him to say something back, anything as his eyes seemed to flickered all around me until finally they met mine again and they rolled, his body slumped and I didn't know what to do.

My heart sank as I watched his still body on the ground beneath me. I moved and got onto my knees, bringing him into my chest, the sparks from our skin touching was phenomenal, I really liked it, so much so that I didn't want to let go. This is what the books say, this feeling that is only ever read about, I understood now.

"Hey," I called to him gently as his cheek pressed against my stomach.

"Alpha?"

I looked up at my warriors along with my beta and third with wide shocked eyes. They were covered in dirt and blood and wore boxers.

I was their Alpha and usually I always had the answers, I always knew what to do, and yet in that moment I was stunned. "What- what do I do?"

"Well, not to shoot in the dark here," Arson began looking amused, "but ah- I believe the best solution, or at least, this is if we want to rule out death, would be the infirmary? Ring any bells?" The guys snickered at this and Winston standing next to Arson, elbowed the wolf.

I growled fiercely and low at him and he flinched, I didn't enjoy the word death, especially used when referring to my mate, I had only just found him and I could hear his heart beat enough to know that wasn't the case.

"For a smart guy, you need to learn to read the room." One of the warriors said while I stood with my mate in my arms.

“Ill admit, not my finest.” Arson groaned, rubbing at his side while I made my way towards the pack house.

He was small but not that small, he just fit in my arms so well, his tan skin seemed pale and he had a string on his waist that while chasing him I realised only covered his ass. I wondered why he used it that way while trying not to stare at his package.

As I made my way towards the infirmary, Arson let everyone else know it was alright to leave the pack house now.

I sent word to the pack doctor to meet me in the infirmary through out mind link, she had been running to make sure she made it and once I put my mate on the bed and covered him with a blanket I couldn't stop staring at him and I didn't want to leave his side.

"Alpha?" I grunted a response. "Mind telling me what happened?" She didn't move to touch my mate which was a good thing because everything in me was anxious. I would be pacing the floor if I wasn't feeling so hell-bent on just keeping my eye on him.

"He's been running for a good 2, maybe 3miles, I tackled him to the ground," I silently berated myself for that, "he fainted-“ I blinked and tilted my head, brows furrowed-“when I said hello." I frowned then.

"Okay, may I?" She looked at me and I stared at her, looking at the stethoscope around her neck and a flashlight in her hand, she raised a single elegant brow, waiting as I struggled with the mere proximity of her to the bed he was on.