CHAPTER 37

Elijah Phoebe

It was like a weight had literally been lifted from my shoulder. There was something freeing about knowing Donovan knew, that I could show him and not feel judged. He wanted to know everything and just seeing the glow in his eyes the more I opened up made me feel at peace. Suddenly, a hundred years just didn't feel enough.

We were walking back to the pack, I asked for a break from the tragedy of my own life and instead our walk was filled with stories of Donovan's childhood, the shenanigans he got up to with his friends and the way he got scolded by his mother when he was improper.

There was the looming dread of seeing my aunt but she hadn't awoken and she wouldn't until her body got used to the absence of her magic, until her mind felt prepared to start this new reality.

I admired Donovan's smile as he spoke, listening wnd laughing as his stories entertained me. There was a tinge of something in my mind, a reality I had to face and somehow felt unprepared. I had dealt with my aunt, it was over, the journey between she and I had reached its bitter end and there was still another thing for me, another part of my story that would end with me. As much as I would tell him all I could, this part, this one I didn't wish upon his mind.

"You think Christian will be as troublesome as I?"

"I hope so!" I said and laughed. "I mean, not as bad, but rebellion is good in children, teaches them consequences."

He seemed to pout. "We're going to be in the principal's office a lot."

"Is it weird that that kind of makes me excited?" He laughed then and paused to hoist me onto his shoulder. I squealed and hit but which only made his laugh as he began to run with me. "Donovan!"

We finally got to the pack house and there were people sunbathing and chatting about.

"Well, aren't y'all just cute." I spotted Jaz and Adam under a tree, Adam was reading to her stomach and she was laughing at the cute faces he was making. My heart panged at the sight of her stomach, the bump there but note noticeable.

"Oh, your just jealous." Donovan put me down and I was all smiles, even at the sight of Arson's face.

"Oh, soon enough, I'll be married, so, shucks I guess I gave into the peer pressure."

"Married?" He turned to me then.

"Yep. I'm following in your example." I glanced at Donovan who shrugged.

"Who?"

"Oh, someone tall, definitely, not to mention brilliant, he should just exude charisma and a killer smile." I snorted then.

"Is that a criteria?"

"You bet it is. It's longer, more detailed but I don't really have the time to go through it with you." He tilted his head and bat his eyes at me and I rolled my eyes.

"Right, because that list is realistic."

"It is!" He sounded like he would whine and cleared his throat. "I already have two candidates."

"I pity them." He chuckled then and there was a silence before Donovan touched my shoulder and gave me a kiss on the forehead.

"I'm sorry." Arson said once my mate left us and I tilted my head watching this man and shook my head feeling very light.