CHAPTER 3

Narrator

The fields were silent, the moon still and bright above the house. Sanctum was miraculous in its ability to look like the world, it's ability to be so close to the real thing that Elijah often forgot where he was, he often wondered how he wasn't on earth but instead a little pocket space between it and the heavens.

"Elijah?" He turned towards the voice that called him. Elijah was seated on the little steps leading to the house of iridescent white, details such as these were a reminder, the light glow of white, a blinding tone for those who weren't like him and those he resided with. He stared up at his friend, probably the only one who didn't resent him enough to give up on him even after all these years.

"Theodore." Elijah offered his friend a small smile before straightening and staring back at the fields, hands around a teacup, its contents still hot even though it had already been an hour that he had been seated out here.

"You alright?" Theodore asked as he sat beside Elijah and sighed.

"Am I ever?"

"You know what I mean... What's going on?"

Elijah blinked and looked up at the sky. "Do you ever wonder why the moon here never moves?"

"Please, stop trying to distract me and tell me what's going on." Theodore touched Elijah by the arm and narrowed his eyes, Elijah simply shrugged.

Elijah took a sip, the hot liquid burning in a way that he welcomed, warming him inside as this version of the outside was cold. He looked to his long time friend. Theodore's white hair loose and hanging over his one shoulder, the man tucked some behind his ear and looked at Elijah so sternly that Elijah knew he was in trouble.

"What is the meaning of this?" Theodore began, determined to get answers and not play into Elijah's distracting conversation tactics. "What do you mean we get to go back? Since when?"

Elijah felt his heart ache, a flow of burdened loss and regret threatening to swallow him whole.

"I meant exactly what I said." Elijah responded simply, looking away from the storm of grey in his friend's eyes and at the clear hot tea in his chilled hands.

"But why now?" Theodore sighed and blinked slowly looking down. "I'm sorry," he shook his head, "but I don't see why you would want us to go now, what could be different this time?"

Time has run out. Elijah thought to himself and instead of telling him, he bowed his head and sighed.

"Theo," he began and Theodore scowled at the way he shortened his name, Elijah smiled back instead. "When I first created sanctum, do you know what I had wanted from it?"

Theodore paused as though he was thinking of it, trying to recall the story from thousands of years ago. Elijah saved him the effort.

"I wanted a home," Elijah's voice was low and he could feel the emotions threatening to choke him as his throat felt burdened, a lump forming and he cleared it and sipped his tea with a sniff. "I wanted to feel safe from the world that was so eager to hunt me down, the world that lusted after power."

Theodore began to frown at Elijah.

"What does that have to do with us going back? Do you want to be alone? Is that it? Are you tired of us? I thought we were supposed to be family, Elijah." Theodore's heart was beating so fast, like a bird in a cage and Elijah sighed.