Chapter 32

*This is unedited so sorry*

"Why are we here?" Kiera spoke. Olivia wanted to say the same but she wasn't exactly supposed to be there so she didn't.

"Well, Ms. Carrera, Mr. Cameron, we share certain interests, you know. Objectives."

"Is this not about the cross?" Rafe asked.

"It is, tangentially, it is about the cross but it's also about something much, much bigger than the cross. By orders of magnitude the completion of a grand quest." He paused. "About 450 years ago a Spanish soldier came out of the Orinoco basin with a few gold beads. When they asked him where the beads came from he said he got them from a peaceful indigenous tribe. Who lived in a city of gold. El Dorado. People tried to find that gold, you know. They tried. Entire nations." 

"All fighting for the race to the end of the rainbow. And it falls to me you know? It falls to me to complete the task. And you guys, are going to play a part in that."

"With all due respect, beautiful story by the way, but we aren't interested in finding El Dorado. We're just here regarding a deal about the cross." Olivia explained.

"That is fair." Carlos said as he nodded to her. "What about you Ms. Carrera? Are you interested in history?"

"I'm more of a future person." Rafe groaned from beside Olivia.

"Listen, I didn't listen to a word you said, okay?" He paused. "How much are you gonna keep philosophizing?"

Carlos chuckled. "You are direct aren't you, Mr. Cameron?"

"What do you need from me?" Kiera said.

"I've come to believe that you and your friends are in possession of something that can help me get what I want."

"Which is?"

"An old manuscript. A diary actually." Rafe turned his head looking at Kiera.

"Look, I have no idea what you're talking about." Rafe replied to him. He turned his head looking to Olivia who was playing with her ring.

"This is ridiculous. I don't know anything about a diary." Kiera said.

"But how else could you have learned that the cross was on the Royal Merchant?"

Kiera sighed before she spoke. Olivia looking to her. "Look I want to help you but I can't."

Olivia could tell she was lying, she knew exactly what diary he was talking about.

"I was hoping you wouldn't say that, you know. Because unfortunately, I don't believe you."

"You and me both." Olivia muttered to herself.

"You and your friend here couldn't have found the cross without it."

"He's not my friend."

Carlos looked between the two.